GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
kebba daffeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 08:35:38 -0700
Dear Folks,

As promised in part one of our discussion on climate change,the part two of our discussion focuses on The Gambia.I suggest that we make use of research findings pertaining to green house gas emission levels,policy measures to reduce emissions and the anticipated changes in the Gambian climate,agriculture,natural resourses and the enviroment in the event of climate change.

Landuse change and the forestry sector are by far the highest emitters of green gases in our country,with annual net emissions of about 1,647,594 tons of carbon dioxide(mainly as a result of forest clearing and burning).This  sector also generates 14,470 tons of carbon monoxide and 1,654 tons of methane.Th next important sector is the energy sector with 206,000 tons of carbon dioxide.The agricultural sector in the Gambia emmits about 20,000 tons of methane(maily from domestic ruminants ie cattle, sheep and goats).The waste sector accounts for about little less 7,000 tons of methane.

The recommended policy measures which have been put in place by researchers to reduce green house gas emissions in The Gambia includes the efficient use of enregy(including possible switch to low carbon energy sources),forest protection and conservation,improve livestock nutrition, organic farminng and aerobial treatment of waste.

In the event of global warming and climate change,The Gambian climate is expected to see an increase in mean annuals values of Temperature,rainfall and potential evapotraspiration.In our agricultural sector,the changes in climate mentioned above, together with changes in soil moisture availability is likely to favour groundnut cultivation at the expence of cereal and grain cultivation.In this regard a vibrant groundnut market would help farmers.

Global warming and climate change will lead to a rise in sea level.IT IS POSTULATED THAT ONE METER RISE IN SEA LEVEL IS EXPECTED TO LEAD TO THE SUBMERGENCE OF THE CAPITAL CITY OF BANJUL in the next 50-60 years.The entire population of BANJUL,swampy residential low lands of BAKAU(FAROW KONO),CAPE ST MARY,JESWANG,KANIFING INDUSTIAL ESTATE,EBOE TOWN,TALINDING,FAJI KUNDA and ABUKO will be displaced.

Saline intrussion into our fresh water resourses cannot be easily excluded aswell as adverse the effects on our forestry and wildlife sectors.

Folks, in conclusion i would say that the situation is not as hopeless as it seems to be. There are measures available to combat global warming aswell as measures at our national level to adapt in the event of climate change.Some of these measures include coastal zone management,reforestation,better watershed management and landuse planing.

Daffeh

PS: special thanks to UNDP initial communication project