GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 22:53:08 -0400
Comrades:

I am very appreciative in engaging numerous comrades in
this strugle.  I am fortunate to meet many Gambians, and I
must admit that I am indebted to many who have provided
valuable information in knowledge and attitude.  One should
not feel above anyone in their assertion for equity,
fair-dealing and truth in the pursuit of a free Gambia.

Many of us must understand that the quality of life and our
own idealistic sentiments must provide guidance in an
endeavor so vital in searching for truth.  The Gambia is our
country and as such, we must provide reasonable assurance in
how we threat each other in this struggle.  The voices of
those who fought dearly, especially Hamat Bah and Halifah
must not be burried under a rug.  I cannot as a Gambian
join the alliance of PPP/UDP/Assan Musa Camara at the
expense of Hamat and Halifa.

I have to reach out to Illiasa Gibba, a jola and a trusted
friend, who was unjustly imprisoned by Sir Dawda after the
failed takeover by Kukoi Samba Sanyang.  Within the same
district of Kombo East, Mba Debo Sanneh was arrested and
remanded for no just cause.   Her sin was that she was a
member of the National Convention Party.  I cried for the
deaths of Momodou Modibo Conteh and Saikou Fatty, who were
shot to death because they were suspected of being Kukoi
Samba Sanyang's sympathizers.  In Perang, at the urging and
approval of Lamin Kitty Jabang, Famara Sanyang and Tombong
Jabang were beaten so severely that the latter was left
almost crippled.  Momodou Binta Sanyang was unjustly
imprisoned for ten years.  Momodou's late grandfather,
Seyfo Fa Touray Sanyang made Sir Dawda of who he was. I
cannot join a group that has Sir Dawda's blessings.  It
will be suicidal for me to trust the PPP.  I know the late
chief, Fa Touray Sayang is looking down on meeting with
approval.

During Sir Dawda's witch-hunt numerous Gambians were arrested
and imprisoned.  Any Gambian with a Sanyang last name, who
happened to innocently danced during Kukoi's brief tenure, was
arrested and detained.  The late Essa Barajo Jarju, who was
heard saying "jola massa kunda" was dismissed as an executive
of the area council.  The late Hon. Famara Wassa Touray,
who fearlessly campaigned for Sir Dawda by riding his
bicycle from Gunjur to Brikama and other villages in the
Kombos, died pennyless because he fell out with Sir Dawda.
The late Seyfo Fa Sanjally Bojang was fired.  Before that,
Sir Dawda unjustly fired the late Seyfo Jereba Bojang.  I
just cannot trust the PPP.  I must also add that Fa Hali
Jammeh of Bakau, a founding member of the PPP was unjustly
detained.  Fa Hali died in custody.

When Sir Dawda was restored to power, he continued on his
witch-hunt by dismissing and detaining Gambians.  The
selected few who have now surrounded the leader of the
UDP, enabled Sir Dawda in his payback strategy.  I cannot
consciously endorse a group that violated the rights of
Gambians.  The PPP has a regrettable history.

The PPP in my view cannot be trusted.  If the UDP wins,
those same individuals who were part of the payback
strategy will embark on the worst kind of arrogance.  The
Gambia should know better.  We do not need any repetitive
arrogance.  We need equity, fair-dealing and truth.

As we revisit history, we must have compelling reasons
to narrate and vividly illustrate with certainty why
the PPP will never change.  As a Gambian, who was raised
with Jolas, I cannot endorse an alliance whose members
had exhibited tribal sentiments on the Jolas after Sir
Dawda was restored to power.

I wished Ousainou had not given the selected few leadership
roles.  I wished Ousainou had reached out to the rest of
the opposition.  I wished Ousainou had done what he promised
me.  I wished Ousainou was open.  I wished Ousainou had not
engaged the UDP in a suicidal marriage with the PPP.

While I remain loyal to this struggle, I  want to reiterate
that I cannot endorse the PPP/UDP/Assan Musa Camara alliance.

I hope Allah guides me in this pursuit.  With Allah's
blessings, the truth will prevail.

Naphiyo,

Comrade ML Jassey-Conteh
Greensboro, NC/Kombo East Constituency