GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ebrima ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2000 10:56:25 PDT
Gambia-L:

The e-mail below came from one of my sources in the Gambia; but I hope this
would be the last posting on the issue! We really have to move on!

Ebrima Ceesay

Hello Ebrima,

You are late in posting the retraction of the Ebou Taal's story by
the Daily Observer which gives the impression that it was deliberate on our
side not to correct the mistake of the Daily Observer. As I told you
yesterday, the retraction is a face-saving device engineered by Ebou's
friends.

It is obvious that in order to declare anyone persona non grata and give him
24/48 hours to leave town, one must have entered the country.  Ebou did not
travel to the UK and therefore he could not have been declared as such. So
the Observer was obliged to correct that unfounded statement.

However, what the retraction failed to mention was the status of his
nomination as ambassador-designate to the UK which was withdrawn by The
Gambia Government at the request of Her Majesty's Government in March, 2000
for reasons known to all of us.

I personally do not wish Ebou Taal ill but he must recognise when to call it
"quit" for the sake of his honour and for the restoration of the dignity to
the position of High Commissioner to the Court of St
James (UK). His family are going through pain as a result of his own
insistence to return to the Gambian diplomatic service at all cost.

There is a reason behind the first Daily Observer story on the saga which
should serve as a clear warning to him and to those pushing his nomination
that even this Yahya Jammeh's Government no longer requires his services.

He will be doing his family and all those those who love him dearly a favour
if he retires honourably and graciously from the AFPRC the Jammeh
Government.

Thanks as ever!