GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2001 23:11:07 EDT
Well, while some of the reasons for the lack of presence of women in politics
is true, I feel that one of the main reasons is also that by and large, our
men tend to not take us seriously when it comes ot leadership roles. We do
come from a very chauvinistic society, and although I must say some of our
men are trying to change this attitude, it is still very much in play.
However, I think it is up to the women to cnahge this attitude by involving
ourselves in politics and vying for positions of leadership. I feel that the
best way we can achieve this ot for us women to start looking around in our
immediate surroundings, in our neighbourhoods and identifying the issues,
problems and organizing on the local level to address these issues, and
formulating solutions. These grassroots organizations are the beginings of
larger, more influnetial voices to be reckoned with.

Jabou Joh

Jabou Joh