GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2007 22:52:46 EDT
Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issue
Issue No.  36/2007, 28-29 March, 2007

Editorial

MR SOS FOR FINANCE AND  ECONOMIC AFFAIRS
The Prices Are Increasing! Life Is Becoming More  Difficult!
WHAT IS THE SOLUTION?
The women say that the price of a cup of  palm oil has risen from 8 dalasi to
10 dalasi and then to 13 dalasi per cup,  while the uncertificated teacher
receives a little bit more than 15 dalasi a  day. Three bonga fish now go for 10
to 15 dalasi when they are plenty. Price  rises up to 20 dalasi when there
are scarcity. Vegetable oil has gone up from  D5.00 to D5.50 and now D6.00 per
cup. The price of three of what is called  croakers is now D50.00. This is the
daily income of a nurse or teacher. One kilo  of onions has gone up to D25.00.
The same goes for a kilo of potatoes which is  also D25.00. We will describe
the quality of the rice in the market and state  their prices for you in the
next issue. What is clear is that five cups of the  worst brand cost what an
uncertificated teacher earns daily.
Mr. SoS, the  worst increase can be found in the drug sector. A dose of
ampicillin comprising  20 tablets rose from 25 dalasi to 40 dalasi over the period.
Foroyaa will now  keep you informed of the prices of commodities on a weekly
basis.
You should  therefore revisit the comments you made in your budget speech at
the end of  2006: According to you
“For three consecutive years, inflation has been on  the decline. The 12
months moving average of the low income Consumer Price Index  for the Greater
Banjul Area as at end October, 2006 recorded an inflation rate  of 1.52 percent.
As at end December, 2005, the rate of inflation was 3.17  percent, compared to
the corresponding statistics of 14.2 and 17.0 percent for  2004 and 2003
respectively.
“The index for the Food, Drinks and Tobacco Group  remained stable during the
period, November 2005 to October 2006 whilst the  index for the non-food
group registered an increase of 4.7 percent…” “The retail  price of basic food
items remain stable during 2006. The retail price of rice  increased by 1
percent, millet 1.2 percent, bread 2 percent, smoked bonga 9.1  percent, catfish 7.7
percent, and fresh barracuda 17.5 percent. For the Non-food  items in the
consumer price basket, the housing index registered an increase of  16 percent,
whilst the Clothing, Textile and Footwear, and the miscellaneous  indices
remained stable.”

RAMBO HELD  INCOMMUNICADO AT SARE NGAI
By Lamin Fatty and Fabakary Ceesay
Foroyaa has  been reliably informed that the Councillor for Cape Point Ward,
Ousman Jatta,  alias Rambo, has been held incommunicado at Sare Ngai Police
Station in the  Wulli East District, a remote area in the eastern end of The
Gambia. When one of  our reporters approached the Station officer, he flatly
denied that Rambo was  held at that Police Station.
Our information is that Rambo has been detained  at the said Police Station
for more than two months after he had been  transferred from Fatoto Police
Station.
Rambo’s continued detention is  contrary to a High Court order issued last
year that he be released  unconditionally. Rambo was arrested on 23rd September,
2006, six months ago, a  day after the presidential election.

IN PA SALLAH JENG’S  TRIAL
Councillor Cross-Examined
By Bubacarr K. Sowe
Marie Dalliah,  Councillor for Soldier Town Ward, on Tuesday reappeared at
the trial of Pa  Sallah Jeng, Mayor of Banjul, who is facing six different
charges.
Dalliah  said that she has read the content of a book published during Jeng’s
tenure. She  agreed with the defence that a book entitled, “In My Time” is
not about the  accused person. She recognised a receipt effecting the payment
for the  publication to E. A. printing press. She also said that there is a
budgetary  allocation for publication under the Mayor’s office.
On the payment of  per-diem (allowance), Dalliah said council members
received it when they were on  official trips and she had benefited from it. She also
identified a cheque  payment voucher made to the Mayor while travelling to
Guinea Bissau. She added  that about 130 pounds were paid to the accused person
which was approved by the  ministry.
Councillor Dalliah told the court that she does not know anything  about the
procurement of towing ambulance by the Banjul City Council. She  recognised
documents in court pertaining to the procurement of the ambulance  among which
was an approval letter from the Gambia Public Procurement Authority  (GPPA). On
the purchase of compactors by the council, she said that they were  already
being used when the council staff were informed about it. She identified
documents pertaining to the payment of compactors made. The payment was made by
the BCC to one Momar Njie.
Dalliah went on to say that there were two  generators at the BCC during the
time the council’s electricity supply was cut  off. She said that one of them
was purchased by the council, but could not tell  the court how the other
generator came to the council.
On the toilets at  Primet Street in Banjul, Dalliah said the toilets were
demolished and she  acknowledged seeing a sketch plan of the new structure
outlining ten  toilets.
Dalliah admitted taking part in a petition for the impeachment of  Mr. Jeng
on the grounds that he constructed the toilets, purchased compactors  and
towing ambulance without the council’s approval. She denied knowing a High  Court
order overturning the impeachment. She also denied that one of the  councilors
withdrew from the petition.
Counsel Lamin Camara appeared for the  accused person and the state was
represented by Marie Saine-Firdaus.
Dalliah  made these remarks during cross examination by Lawyer Lamin Camara
at the High  Court.

DR BADARA LOUM AND SURUWA JAITEH IN COURT
By Bubacarr K.  Sowe
Dr. Badara Loum and Suruwa B.W Jaiteh, ex-permanent Secretaries at the
Department of State for Agriculture (DOSA), were on Tuesday, March 27th  arraigned
before Justice Monageng at the High Court charged for causing monetary  loss
to a public body contrary to the Economic Crimes Decree.
The charged  sheet stated that as Permanent Secretaries of DOSA between April
2005 and  December 2006, being the accounting officers and entrusted with the
 responsibility of distributing and selling 47,775 metric tons of NPK
fertilizer  and 2,229 metric tons of Urea fertilizer valued at D51,480,100: (fifty
one  million, four hundred and eighty thousand, one hundred dalasi), they
willfully  or by omission or recklessly handled and thereby caused losses to the
government  of The Gambia to the tune of D6,349,845.00 (six million, three
hundred and forty  nine thousand, eight hundred and forty five dalasi).

ACCUSED PERSON  ALLEGED EXCESSIVE TORTURE BY POLICE
By Modou Jonga
An accused person (name  withheld) in a rape case has informed the court that
police officers tortured  him to the point that he had to make a false
confession.
The accused alleged  that he was severely beaten by the Police Intervention
Unit Officers at the  Brikama Power Station on 14th February 2007. He made
these remarks on Tuesday  27th March at the Brikama Magistrate Court before
Magistrate E.F M’bai. The  accused made this allegation when he was cross-examining
the second prosecution  witness.
The accused person further said that he was told by P.I.U officers  to accept
that he had carnal knowledge of the complainant, an 18 year old girl,  or
risk being tortured severely. The accused said he has to confess that he
committed rape in order to escape the severe beatings of the P.I.U  officers.
The accused person further told the court that his confession was  imposed
forcefully on him. He asserted that if he was not beaten, he would not  have
accepted having committed rape. He also told the court that the complainant  is
his girl friend. A prosecution witness, Alhagie Faye, a Police officer
attached to the Police Intervention Unit in Brikama, said he is unaware of the
alleged torture and was not present at the scene.
The accused person, who  pleaded not guilty, is accused to have had carnal
knowledge of an 18 year old  girl.

LETTER TO NADD EXECUTIVE BY EX-FLAG BEARER, HALIFA  SALLAH
Let us interrogate the results of the Presidential and National  Assembly
elections. The total number of voters in Serrekunda Central is put at  30, 805
votes. During the Presidential elections a total of 18, 485 voters went  to the
polls 12, 320 voters did not vote.
During the National assembly  elections a total number of 12, 236 voters cast
their votes 18, 569 voters did  not cast their votes. In short, the number of
voters dropped by 6, 249 votes  when the voter turn out in the Presidential
and National assembly election are  compared. What is responsible for this
drop? It had to be explained if we are to  map out a realistic way forward for the
opposition in Gambian politics. It goes  without saying that the vacillation
of the voters defied simple explanation. For  example, during the Presidential
election, APRC’s Yahya Jammeh had 11, 395  votes, UDP Ousainou Darboe had
4908 votes while NADD Halifa Sallah had 2182  votes. The number of people who did
not vote were more than those who voted for  President Jammeh. Interestingly
enough, during the National Assembly election  the votes of APRC’s Sainey
Jaiteh was 6386. Compared to Jammeh’s 11,395 votes  during the presidential
election. There was a drop by 5009 votes. What is  responsible for the drop? What
happened to the votes? This requires  explanation.
Furthermore, the UDP’s Alhaji Fatty had 1548 votes which fell  short of what
Mr. Darboe had during the presidential election by 3360 votes.  What is
responsible for the drops? Where did the votes go to?
In my own case  my votes rose from 2182 in the presidential election to 4302
in the National  Assembly election. This constituted a rise by 2120 votes.
Where did the votes  come from? On the other hand, compared to a total number of
5911 votes in the by  election of 2005 there was a drop by 1609 votes. Where
did the votes go  to?
These are questions of fundamental importance if we are to fully  understand
how and why people vote.
During the presidential elections I took  my support base in Serrekunda
Central for granted and did not hold a single  meeting in the constituency. I had
assumed that my role as watch dog of the  interest of the people in the
National Assembly and my attempt to put National  Assembly income and per diems in
the service of the people would have been  acknowledged as the standards of best
practice in performance as National  assembly member. I deluded myself into
thinking that people in Serrekunda  Central could not give more support to any
other person if they compared the  candidates. I had to come to my senses when
I received the results of the  presidential election. I sent questionnaires
to find out whether the people in  Serrekunda Central really believed that my
words and deeds were inferior to  those of the other candidates. None rated me
below the other candidates. All  encouraged me to stand in the National
Assembly elections. However, during the  National Assembly elections I did not take
things for granted.  I made sure  that I was ever present in all corners of
the constituency. I held more meetings  and did more sensitization than all the
candidates. Exceptionally large and  enthusiastic crowd that gave me support
and made comments everywhere gave the  impression to many that my victory was a
foregone conclusion. Interestingly  enough, when the results were revealed I
did not even get the figures I had in  the 2002 election not to mention the
2005 by election. How is this to be  explained.
Some claim that the voters’ cards of many young people who may  have voted
for me were submitted as a precondition for participation in a  football match
and were suppressed to deprive me of votes. Today the youths are  claiming that
they were given T-shirts of different colours bearing the picture  of
President Jammeh as their jerseys and the D40,000 they were allegedly  promised to be
the prize for the finalist by the Secretary of State is yet to be  a reality.
I hope that if this is true, those responsible should act with  immediacy to
remedy the situation.
Others argue that during the Presidential  elections all those who aspire to
be councilors or National Assembly members  tend to mobilize their own
supporters to vote for the Presidential candidate of  the APRC in anticipation that
they will be recognised and selected to be  candidates; that once a candidate
is selected those left out would usually  undermine the candidate who is
selected by asking their supporters to either  abstain or support the candidate of
another party. They claim that the 5009  people who voted for Jammeh in the
Presidential election decided to abstain  instead of voting against the APRC
candidate because of party  pressure.
Others still claim that when the UDP decided to put up a candidate  against
me they came to the conclusion that the split would cost me the seat.  They
therefore stayed away rather than engage in a futile venture.
In my view all these explanations are remarkably fanciful. What is of
analytical value is that after serving Serrekunda Central and the Gambia for 5
years a voter population of 26, 503 out of 30, 805 registered voters either
abstained or voted against me. Furthermore, a voter population of 24, 419 either
abstained or did not vote for Sainey Jaiteh who won. This confirms that
something is terribly wrong with the electoral system. Either the people do not
have faith in the electoral system or it is being manipulated to the extreme. I
have looked at the chapter and verse of the voting system. I am convinced that
 most Gambians, if not all, fully understand that the wealth in national
coffers  is derived from direct and indirect taxation, payment for services, loans
and  grants. They are fully aware that it is the president and members of his
 executive who are responsible for managing the national coffers to provide
the  services needed by the people. They fully know that National assembly
members  are watch dogs of the people. They are to monitor how national wealth is
utilized to enhance prosperity and how power to govern is exercised to
enhance  the liberty of the people.
No one needs to be convinced that there is a  deficit in liberty and
prosperity. The news of prominent people, like Managing  Directors and even elected
councilors, being arrested and detained without trial  are known to all. The
poverty is also evident everywhere. Unlike a rural village  where people know
each other and the identification of which village voted for  the APRC or the
opposition can be done with ease, the voters in Serrekunda  Central are
completely free from any fear of any body detecting how they vote.  What is as clear as
noon day is that many people in Serrekunda Central, in  particular, and The
Gambia, in general, vote with their mouths and not with  ballot tokens. They
seem to become concerned after the event. How to reverse  this tendency is of
chief significance in making the democratic revolution a  reality. A people who
do not value their right to vote cannot be factors in  determining how their
country is governed. A people who abstain from voting or  are induced or
intimidated to vote or not to vote cannot be the architects of  their own destiny. A
country with such a type of citizenry is a sovereign  country without a
sovereign people. How to build a sovereign Gambia whose people  are capable of
making an informed choice without fear due to intimidation or  favour due to
inducement is the principal task of the democratic revolution.  Without achieving
this task few people with vested interest will vote every five  years just to
determine who to surrender their power to rule them and preside  over their
poverty and misery instead of determining who to entrust their power  with to
serve them and preside over their liberty and prosperity. The two types  of
politics, that is, that of liberation and that of patriarchal domination were
evident during the campaign. Allow me to revisit the campaign issues of the
contending forces.

UTG RECEIVE 15,000 BOOK DONATION
By Isatou  Bittaye
The Foundation for West Africa and Sabre Foundation have donated  15,262
books to the University of The Gambia (UTG). The donation came through  the Gambia
Women Finance Association (GAWFA) and it was presented to the UTG on
Wednesday 21st March 2007.The books are said to cost $809,820.
In her opening  remarks, the chairperson of GAWFA, Mrs. Hannah Davies said
the Foundation for  West Africa has the vision to assist in the recovery and
development of  countries, and its work focuses on supporting and financing
grassroots efforts  in the areas of Education, Health and Communication.
Mrs. Davies indicated  that TFWA develops partnerships and collaborates with
local non-governmental  organisations and supports their work by providing
finance for the projects they  work on within their three areas of focus.
She added that the donation is a  non-governmental initiative comprising the
Foundation for West Africa, Sabre  Foundation and GAWFA which are
non-governmental organisations and are supported  by members of the Gambian community in
Rhode Island, USA, to raise awareness and  mobilize support for the initiative.
Mrs. Davies noted that the books should  benefit students by ensuring that
they continue to be accessible to them and  that they are not for sale. She
added that the sale of the books will violate  their understanding and agreement
with the Sabre Foundation through which they  got the books and will jeopardize
any possible future book donation project they  may want to embark on even
with other partners. Mrs. Davies indicated that they  are suggesting for the
creation of a small committee with representatives from  GAWFA, the University,
the Medical School and the Foundation for West Africa for  the effective
management and the distribution of the books.
Mrs. Davies  further said that the donation has come as a timely
intervention, during a  period of growth of the student population in the university and
that the  university is challenged to establish a bigger library or libraries
even before  the new university campus is built. She added that the university
is urged to  share the books with other institutions of higher learning in the
country,  noting that the sharing of learning resources will also complement
our national  efforts in achieving quality education.
Mrs. Davies said that GAWFA is a  micro-finance institution whose mission is
to serve as a financial intermediary  to enhance the entrepreneurship
development of women as a means of alleviating  their poverty.
She added that GAWFA also serves as a vehicle for  mainstreaming women in
National development processes and operates in 18 regions  in the country and has
a portfolio of 40 thousand women who are engaged in  various micro-enterprise
ventures.
UTG chair of International Affairs and  Information, Gumbo Ali Touray, said
that books will lead them to achieve  knowledge. Mr. Touray added that the
arrival of the books for UTG is timely and  that it will help both students and
staff. He assured that UTG will put the  books into good use.
He added that the partnership between UTG and GAWFA will  continue.
Deputizing for the SOS for Higher Education, Research, Science and
Technology, the Permanent Secretary, Mr. Saidou Jallow said that the books lead  us to
literacy, virtue, as well as, the knowledge we seek in the global drive to
attain education for all, noting that accessibility to education by the poor
seems the only obvious means of meeting the challenges of development. Mr.
Jallow noted that the arrival 0f the 40ft container of new books for that matter
is timely and useful. He added that the donation will offer valuable help to
students on their various study programmes.
Mr. Jallow expressed appreciation  to TFWA and GAWFA.
Mrs. Philomina Sarr from the Foundation for West Africa,  said that GAWFA is
a Women’s Association. She urged the UTG to put the books  into good use and
in an organised manner.
The vote of thanks was given by the  University Librarian, Mrs. Rosanna Ndow
Jallow.

“TB IS CURABLE AND  PREVENTABLE,”
SAYS SENIOR LTBCO
By Yaya Bajo
Mr. Kejaw Saidykhan,  Senior Leprosy and Tuberculosis Control Officer
(LTBCO), at the Department of  Medical and Health has asserted that TB is both
curable and preventable and  therefore people should avail themselves for screening
at their various  diagnosis centres around the country. Mr. Saidykhan made
this revelation on  Monday 26th March, 2007 in an exclusive interview with
Foroyaa at his offices in  Banjul.
The Leprosy and Tuberculosis Control Officer said that Tuberculosis  is a
chronic infectious disease caused by micro bacterium (tuberculosis  bacilli). He
said Tuberculosis Day is celebrated worldwide on the 24th of March  each year
and that the theme for this year’s commemoration is “TB anywhere is TB
everywhere.” He added that the team portrays that if TB exists anywhere then it  is
everywhere as it can be transmitted through droplets in the air. “If a TB
patient coughs he/she, expels a lot of TB germs into the air in a form of
droplets and anybody who comes in contact with them and inhaled the germs will
become infected,” he remarked.
Mr. Saidykhan added that being infected with  TB germs is different from
becoming diseased.” You can be infected and remain  like that for the rest of your
life only if your body resistances are good, but  if they are weak, you can
progress to TB disease;” he revealed. He added that  this is why HIV/AIDS is
related to TB because HIV virus kills or destroys the  body defence mechanisms
thus succumbing to infections or disease.
On the  signs and symptoms of TB, Mr. Saidykhan explained that for pulmonary
Tuberculosis, one shows the following symptoms:
Cough for two weeks or more,  presence of blood in the sputum, loss of
appetite and loss of weight. He said  that in The Gambia Tuberculosis is treated for
a period of six months and it is  divided into two phases; that the two
phases are intensive and continuation  phases; that in the intensive phase patients
are given four different types of  drugs daily for two months at the end of
which they are reviewed and that if the  sputum test is found to be negative,
treatment is changed into continuation;  that in the continuation phase
patients are treated with two different types of  drugs which are taken three times
in a week for two months. He said that in the  fourth month, patients are
examined for sputum test again and if found negative  administration of the same
drug continues for another two months. Mr. Saidykhan  said that at the end of
the six months they would examine the sputum again and  that if it is still
negative they would then discharge the patient from  treatment.
The senior LTBCO said that all these treatment protocols are  supervised by
either a health worker or a treatment supporter who ensures that  all medicines
are taken correctly and regularly for the duration of the  treatment. The
reason for this, he said, is that if TB drugs are not taken  regularly, it can
lead to drug resistance which can eventually lead to prolong  treatment.
When questioned about the accessibility diagnosis and treatment  centres, he
said that these centres are decentralized and that all health  facilities now
provide treatment. “We have fifteen (15) diagnosis centres all  over the
country and plans are underway to expand these to 31,” He stated that  diagnosis
and treatment of Tuberculosis are free for all, in spite of  nationality; that
TB patients are also provided with breakfast before taking  their medication
and transport fares when they are due for the two monthly  review visits to
their various diagnosis centres.
On prevention, Mr.  Saidykhan noted that BCG vaccines are given to children
at birth and TB patients  are advised to cover their mouths and noses when
coughing in order to prevent  expelling infectious TB droplets into the air. He
said they should also have  sputum muce which must be emptied into a pit latrine
after use. “People should  also stop overcrowding and that all dwelling
houses should be well ventilated,”  he concluded.

FOCUS ON POLITICS
AFTER FIVE YEARS OF REPUBLICAN  EXISTENCE, HOW DID THE ECONOMY FARE?
With Suwaibou Touray
In the last  issue, we were analysing the Gambian economy from 1970 to 1975,
the first five  years of Sir Dawda Kairaba Jawara’s administration. We had
stopped where we gave  an example that the worker had no control over his or her
pay, neither a say  over the prices of commodities. This we opined makes it
difficult for them to  cater for their families. Let us continue from where we
had stopped.
The  worker has no control over his pay neither a say over prices of
commodities  which makes it difficult for him to cater for his family.
For example, a bag  of sugar was increased in 1973 from D25 to D50 when the
salary of the worker was  not increased, but according to the ‘Outlook newspaper
’ ministers’ salaries were  increased.
This was why in 1970, the workers unions had clamoured for a  salary
revision, because they felt that the colonialists had created an unusual  disparity in
terms of wages between the “Pen Pushers”, white collar workers, and  the
skills persons and laborers. The Government also accepted and contracted a
British national, Mr. Wallace, to come and review the capacity of The Gambian
economy with a view to recommend at least two  things;
1.         To see if the  economy could accommodate the upward adjustment of
wages of both the white  collar workers, as well as, the skills workers and
laborers,
2.         To review and  recommend the reduction of the gap between the
various categories of workers in  the civil service;
The Wallace report did not only take time to come  out but took even a longer
time for Government to inform the people and workers  of it’s contents and
whether or not it has accepted it. Mr. M.E Jallow, who is  the Secretary General
of The Gambia Workers’ Union, had to meet president Jawara  to avail on him
to increase salaries of the minimum pay workers, as well as,  propose new
working hours for the workers.
The tension continued to mount and  on the 28th July 1975, it was felt that
M.E Jallow’s meeting had not yielded  dividend, motivating workers all over the
country to go on a general strike to  protest against what they called the
delaying tactics being employed by the  Government in revealing the new salary
structure as recommended by Mr. Wallace.  According to the Outlook, this was
the first time in post Gambian independence  history that workers from all
shades, irrespective of ethnicity and partisan  leanings were able to come together
to struggle for a common cause. The strike  took four days.
From 1970 onward, the Gambia was engaged in the exportation  of groundnuts as
well as cotton and also encouraging the tourism industry. The  GPMB (Gambia
Produce Marketing Board) was responsible for all the groundnut  exports. It did
this through the cooperative union which was supposed to be  owned by the
farmers themselves. The cooperative union would loan farming  implements,
fertilizers and seed-nuts to the farmers at a reasonable rate.  Through this the
farmer or peasant could increase his/her yield the following  season.
The GPMB was so successful in its activities by exporting groundnuts  and
cotton and cotton seed and importing rice, sugar, edible oil and even
fertilizers. Since it was the government that was engaged in much of the imports  of
essential commodities, it behoves on them to also establish a price control
mechanism in 1973 which was applauded by the people.
As I stated earlier,  Government initially had a lot of energy and foresight
to diversify the economy.  It has tried with the Government of Iceland to
exploit the ilmenite deposits in  the Gambia to eradicate what some called a “one
legged economy”. The objective  was to utilize hydro-electric power plant to
smelt the ilmenite. This has failed  to materialise, but cotton proved to be
viable in the initial phase, and it  still is.
Secondly, the NTC (National Trading Company) popular at the time  (1973) also
organised and effect exports and imports and engaged in trade as a
commercial organization.
So at this stage, even though the country faced  problems, the Government
appeared to have taken the right decisions.
This was  why, by 1974, the cooperative union bought a total of 127,440
tonnes of  groundnuts when the season was not even over at the time compared to
95,717  tonnes in 1972-73 seasons.
More prospects came by 1974, when Gambia and Libya  signed Economic and
Technical Cooperation whereby the two countries agreed to  develop and strengthen
technical cooperation between them in the field of  Education, Agriculture,
Trade and Industry. Libya offered $1million dollars  towards the purchase of
Radio Transmitters at a time when the people in the  U.R.D dubbed radio Gambia as
radio Kombo, construction of administrative  buildings and health centres.
Libya also provided £40,000 British pounds towards  the completion of the Gambia
Muslim Association Secondary School in Banjul and  another $250,000 dollars to
establish jointly Gambia Libyan Arab Jamahiriya  Public Transport
Corporation, GLPTC and later GPTC, as well as other areas such  as in the field of
culture, education, Technology, Agriculture, scientific  research and sports.
The United States government also gave a grant of  $75,000 or D1,093,500
dalasi on December 1974 to be administered by USAID in  cooperation with the
ministry of Agriculture.
By 1974, a sahelian drought  that had afflicted our neighbours in West Africa
such as Senegal, Mali, Niger,  etc., was reported to have threatened the
Gambia, as well.
On 28 May 1994,  Sir Dawda told parliament that food crops such as sorghum,
rice, guinea-corn and  millet had dropped by about 58% during the period. He
blamed it on external  constraints, international inflation, instability of
exchange rates and what he  called erratic shipping movement. Hunger was said to
have intensified in the  Gambia which prompted the Soviet Union to officially
donate 500 tonnes of rice  to the country as a contribution to the drought
menace. A soviet ship brought  the rice, according to the ‘Outlook’.
Tourism was slowly booming, because by  1973, over 19,000 tourists made
Gambia their holiday resort, prompting the  construction of many hotels.
The Gambia commercial and Development Bank, the  only one of its kind at the
time, was dominating banking business in the country  by making loans
available to small and large scale business persons. As you can  see, loans, grants
and Groundnuts and cotton exports and the fact that the  dalasi was still linked
to the British pound, all make the Government and people  optimistic. This
was the period when, according to The Nation newspaper,  Gambians were very
proud and used to boast that ‘because we are a god-fearing  people, we were able
to have the peace that we had and therefore other countries  should emulate us.
See next issue for more on the Gambia’s economy for the  period.

SENEGALESE CUSTOMS OFFICIALS GRANTED BAIL
By Bubacarr  K. Sowe
Five Senegalese nationals, standing trial on fire arms charges, were  on
Monday granted bail by the Kanifing Magistrate Court presided by Magistrate  Pa
Harry Jammeh.
Magistrate Jammeh said that each of the accused persons  should provide two
Gambian sureties with landed property in the Greater Banjul  Area. The five
accused persons, Serigne Ngum, Pap Drammeh, Saidou Cham, Yusu  Jobe and Alieu
Cham are charged with “possession and importation of fire arms  into The Gambia”
, to which they have pleaded not guilty.
Antouman Gaye,  defence counsel renewed his application for bail arguing that
it was fifty days,  then (26th March), since the accused persons had been in
custody and that they  had been locked up in cells for twenty four hours.
Mr. Gaye added that one of  the accused persons who was reported sick had not
seen a medical doctor. He also  said that another one, Serigne Ngum, was
showing signs of illness and might be  suffering from beriberi.
Mr. Gaye submitted that despite orders made by the  court for the sick
accused person to see a doctor, the prison authorities had  defied the order.
Magistrate Jammeh, therefore, granted the accused persons  bail and ordered
the officials escorting the accused persons to court to allow  them access to
medical facilities.
Cross Examination
Under cross  examination, Warrant Officer Class 2 and Regimental Sergeant
Mayor (Wo2/RSM),  Cherno Jobe, told the court that he could not remember the time
they apprehended  the accused persons, but that they were called over the
phone between 10:00 to  10:30. RSM Cherno Jobe said that he had been serving in
the navy for 19 years,  initially under the Marine Unit.
Jobe narrated that their naval base was  informed by a caller in Denton
Bridge that the accused persons were in Gambian  territorial waters, and that was
what prompted them to chase them to ashore at  Bakau.
He said that they took permission from the accused persons and  searched
them. He continued to say that the suspects did not resist, threaten or  obstruct
their searching.
RSM Jobe also said that he recognised that one of  them was wearing a
Senegalese customs uniform, but the remaining four, he said,  claimed they are
civilians.
Jobe said in court that he remembered the sinking  of a Senegalese vessel ‘La
Jola’ which claimed hundreds of lives few years ago.  He said that The Gambia
Navy was very helpful in the rescue efforts.
Jobe  acknowledged that the Senegalese President thanked his Gambian
counterpart and  the navy for their aid. The RSM officer said he was even decorated
following  their efforts to rescue the crew.
Testifying further, Jobe said that arms and  ammunitions were found in a bag
in the Senegalese boat, but none of the accused  persons was armed. For them,
Jobe said, they were armed on board the GPV  Sulayman Jungkung boat but did
not use it against the suspects.
Jobe added  that he told the suspects they were in Gambian territorial waters
and the  accused persons did confess being in Gambian waters.
Asked whether he is a  navigator, Mr. Jobe responded in the negative. Asked
again whether he could tell  that they were doing in Gambian territorial
waters, since he is not a navigator,  the RSM still maintained his response.
The prosecution was represented by N.  Sarr. The case was adjourned to a
later date.

589 STUDENTS GRADUATE  FROM THE GAMBIA COLLEGE
By Annia Gaye
The Gambia College, last Saturday,  held its 24th Graduation Ceremony. 589
Students graduated from different fields  ranging from Higher Teacher’s
Certificate (HTC), Primary Teachers Certificate  (PTC), Early Childhood Development
(ECD), State Registered Nurses (SRN) and  Higher National Diploma in
Environmental Health. The graduation ceremony was  held at the Gambia College grounds in
Brikama.
Delivering his introductory  remarks, the Chairman of the Gambia College
Council, Mr. Alpha. A Khan, said  that since they took over the governing of the
affairs of the college, they  faced enormous challenges which needed urgent
attention to enable the college to  meet its mandate of producing manpower for
the education, agriculture and health  sectors.
He noted that the major challenge the college faced was the absence  of a
quality professional management structure that could attract and retain  highly
qualified and motivated staff who could provide relevant, quality and
monitoring of the young professionals in Education, Agriculture and Health. He
further noted that the college administration has been tasked to come up with a
comprehensive budget to incorporate salary increases and other benefits for
staff, this he said, will be predicated on the assumption that the college would
be more innovative, develop demand driven courses and programmes. He urged the
 grandaunts to be patriotic, dedicated, disciplined and hardworking, as with
these values they would be able to achieve the objectives and goals of vision
 2020.
In his remarks, the guest speaker, Professor Andreas. L. Steigen, the  vice
chancellor of the University of the Gambia said Gambia College is an
honourable institution with traditions and a focal point in education of the  Gambia.
He urged the grandaunts to maintain and develop their skills.

TRIPLET’S MOTHER SEEKS ASSISTANCE
By Amie Sanneh & Fabakary  B. Ceesay
One Aminata Sillah, commonly called Babo, gave birth to triplets  (one male
and two females) at the Bansang Hospital on the 28th November 2006.  She is
seeking assistance from individuals, NGOs and Government  Institutions.
Aminata who is 22 years of age is married to a poor farmer who  is trying to
make ends meet in his family-household. Due to the poor condition  of the
husband, Aminata has left her matrimonial home Dobang Kunda for her  father’s
home, a native village in Niani Sukuta.
Since she gave birth four  months ago, she has been fending for her children.
The young lady had earlier  given birth to a baby girl. According to her, the
health condition of the babies  is normal but she (Aminata) lacks sufficient
breast milk and needs nutritious  food to nourish herself in order to continue
to adequately breastfed her  children.
Anybody or institution willing to help Aminata and the babies can  please
contact Alhagy Foday Jabbie on 9981651 or Aminta Ceesay of Niani Sukuta  on
9943692 or Fansu Kanteh 9987094 or Fagi kunda on 9987094 and Adama Ceesay on
9892780.

Jatto Ceesay: We Deserve to Lose
By Modou  Nyang
Scorpions Captain Jatto Ceesay said that the Elephants (Cyli Nationale)  of
Guinea deserved the humiliating defeat they inflicted to the Scorpions on
Saturday, because they played wiser.
The veteran Scorpions skipper was  speaking at the end of the epic clash at
the Independence Stadium in Bakau. He  said: “Sometimes we are not wise enough
in the game Guinea have very experienced  players, they play as quick as
possible pass the ball to the nearest player who  is free, no long balls.
“If we were matured enough we [would have] played  simple football, make it
simple and play as quick as possible with simple  passes. “We could have won
[but] because of the way we played, we played  difficult passes try to hold the
ball. “That cost us the game because [Guinea]  were very patient. “We blame
our selves and with this type of mentality I don’t  think we can make it.
The Gambia international and FC Larnaca of Cyprus  player who did not hide
his frustration, continued. “People think we played a  good first half for me I
don’t think so, we played like individuals [and] not as  eleven players, you
can see the pattern of the game. It is unfortunate.  “Tomorrow is a new day I
don’t know what they going to do am not GFA am not  [the] Ministry of Sports am
a mere Captain. I cannot say anything about those  issues (preparations for
matches) for me we lost and am very disappointed and I  feel very bad, I
[never] expected we would [have] played like that am really  disappointed.
“You see how Pascal [Feindouno] played, he is mature [and] very  good he play
very sure, unless you foul him you cannot disposes him. “That’s how  the
game should be, very simple, straight forward and quick. [But] if you play  boom
bam, before you make the final pass, that’s the problem. “With this kind of
system we cannot make it because we need to win away, if we play like this
they  will kill us in Guinea and the same applies to Cape Verde”.

Third  Defeat for U-20 in Korea
By Modou Nyang
The darling Young Scorpions had  succumbed to their third consecutive defeat
yesterday, at the Suwon  International Football Tournament in South Korea.
They lost 2-0 to Poland in the  third and final game of the round robbing
fixtures.
After loosing to host  South Korea 4-0 and Chile 2-1 0n Friday and Sunday
respectively, the African  Youth Bronze Medalists, again failed to fire all
cylinders on Tuesday against  the European side. The Scorpions went into the game
with the ambition of  defeating Poland and finish third but were surprised by a
good spirited Polish  side.
The Young Scorpions, who had conceded goals in this tournament in the  first
ten minutes, again went a goal down in the 9th minute when David Jarka  nodded
in from a Krzysztol Krol cross in. The Young Scorpions again responded  with
an all out attack to avenge the situation but the final touches were always
lacking.
The Polish side responded with a defensive tactic in the second  period and
relied on the counterattack from the break. The tactic yielded, and  in the
89th minute goalkeeper Christopher Allen was judged to have fouled Jakub  Szalek
inside the penalty area. The spot kick was scored by the young Real  Madrid
star, Krzysztol Krol.
In the other game, Chile defeated South Korea by  a goal to nil the only goal
of the game was scored by Nicolas Esteban Medina  Rios in the 68th minute.
Chile were crowned champions and were awarded  a trophy and gold medals with
a cash prize of US$60,000. South Korea finished  second and collected the
silver medals and an amount of US$40,000.  Poland  collected bronze and an amount
of US$30,000 and the Gambia collected US$10,000.  The Young Scorpions will
leave Korea today and arrive in Banjul on Thursday  morning. Courtesy: Namory
Trawally, President Gambia Sport Journalists  Association

Seyfo Apology: It Was My Fault
By Modou  Nyang
Seyfo Soley the Scorpions, midfield kingpin, has admitted his fault in  the
second goal conceded by the Scorpions against the Cyli Nationale of guinea
adding that nobody like to make a mistake.
The Gambian strong man and Preston  North End of England new signing had only
himself to blame for the Guineans  second goal that effectively killed the
game on Saturday. He said: “I am feeling  very bad we wanted to win [but] we
were not lucky. We played a very good first  half and did not score [and] they
[Guinea] scored which were mistakes, like the  second one. “It was a little bit
lack of communication we [said] that we have to  talk more to each other [and]
that was our problem in the second half. “The  misunderstanding we had in the
field was lack of communication, when I had the  ball with two players
[marking] me if someone talk to me I will then know  exactly what to do but if you
don’t say anything, I would assume there is no one  [to pass]. “This is
football it is about communication, we have been talking in  the beginning but the
second half was less nobody was talking.
“I understand  the reaction of the supporters this is normal in football,
they will insult,  throw stones and [say] anything. “This is our job we are in
football, we live in  football so anything like this we understand it exactly,
no body want to make  mistake. “I have been playing for this country for five
to six years and have  played in all international matches, coming home to play
[when ever called  upon]. A goal have to be the fault of someone, today the
second goal was my  fault and when the people react, the insults, I understand
it am feeling the  same way I was the one playing for ninety minutes.
“Nobody knows what is  going to happen in football Guinea never thought they
can win here, most of the  players, six to seven of them, I have been playing
with them in Lokeren,   Belgium, I have been talking to them they thought they
were going to lose, but  you see how football is, they won with two goals. We
can also make it in  Guinea”.

In Zone II Volleyball Tourney
Senegal Commands  Proceedings
By Isatou Bittaye
The much publicized zone II volleyball  tournament is underway at the Manneh
Sillah memorial lawn in Banjul, with  Senegal getting the better of host,
Gambia in the first and second day of  tourney.
Instead of the initial four countries expected to take part in the
tournament which will also serve as a qualifier for the All-Africa games taking  place
in Algeria in July, only Senegal made the journey to Banjul.
In the  opening encounter between the female Gambian team and their
Senegalese  counterparts, the visitors won 3-0. The young Gambian side started by
picking  the first point of the game but the leggy Senegalese were a class apart.
They  beat the Gambians 25-23, 25-15, 25-2 on all three sets closing the battle
3-nil.  The boys followed suit with Senegal repeating their dominance wining
25-14,  25-18, 24-26, 25-21; the game ended 3-1 in favour of Senegal.
The second day  also witnessed the Senegalese commanding proceedings in both
categories. They  won 3-0 in each collecting 25-23, 25-15, 25-21, in all three
sets in the male  category and 25-5, 25-17, 25-8, in the female category.
captain of the  Gambian female team Aminata Jaiteh, talking to Foroyaa-sport
conceded that the  Senegalese are a better side claming that they trained only
for five days. She  however indicated that they played a good match. On the
other hand Binta Njie  who captained the female Senegalese side said that the
match wasn’t easy as such  noting that it requires technique, saying that her
side may be more skillful and  had better training than the Gambian side.