GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2000 00:20:39 EDT
Thank you for the response Jainaba.

You wrote:

 "I have no problem with your re-sending the declaration of Independence.
These are beautiful words, but the fact still remains that the life of an
African American is worth less than that of her/his white countrywoman(man).
The over representation of the former doing time in relation to their
percentage of the population spells out to some extent the latent and overt
racism embedded in the souls of  some of these leaders. The most recent being
appeals made to George Bush Jr to save the life of a brother. It never
mattered even when celebrities like Danny Glover came forward. The point
again being even if we are to earn millions of dollars , or travel to space
as in the case of Mae Jamison, as a people of African decent we are still
seen as inferiors. And the only way we can eradicate this stamp is to rise up
and invent the future! Japan, China and the rest of Asia are doing just that!
"

As far as I am concerned, this is not a point of contention between us at
all, unless if for some reason you think I hold a different view on this
issue, At any rate, I have already addressed this point in my last email.

Also, as already mentioned, those who know me both privately and here on the
L over the years, know my views regarding  Africa & Africans taking charge of
our own affairs, rather than looking for salvation from nations that are our
peers, and since I live here in America, I don't think you have to remind me
about the racism and bigotry that we as a people encounter here as
elsewhere.Therefore, I will not waste time arguing this point at all.

You also said:

 "Jabou, I have no problem with you! I am not here to defend my husband, but
as a concerned Gambian with her own brain, moved by the tragedy that has
befallen us as a Nation! You see  many people have a difficulty to understand
that marrying somebody should not  mean loosing your identity and your sense
of justice ! "

Again, I commend you for this position and , I am glad you do not have a
problem with me However, I have already given you my response to your
original post, and we will leave it at that.

.You see Jai, the position i took a long time ago, back when it was only a
handful of us on the L speaking out against this regime, is not because i
have sacrificed loved ones, friends and acquaintances who are connected to
this regime, but simply because I saw the need to make a choice of speaking
out against what is wrong , and there are many on this list who have made the
same choices.

And I did it without hiding behind any pseudonyms, or straddling any fences
at all. At the same time, my bond with my loved  ones is far more honourable
and stronger than anything that this regime can ever hope to understand. It
is as you said that "marrying someone does not mean you have to loose your
identity"., and holding a different view and opinion does not mean that you
have sacrificed any loved ones.

You also stated that:

"We have to cut down on our rantings and the use of profane language. And be
more practical, even in relation to Jammeh and his government. "

Rest assured that no sensible individual can possibly believe that ranting is
a solution to ending the madness in our land, but while we contribute our
quota to getting rid of Jammeh and his cohorts, we will also keep telling the
World about the atrocities they continue to commit, and pointing fingers of
warning to all Gambians to take care not to be counted among the perpetrators
of evil. As I said before, and as i will say again, one is either part of the
problem or part of the sloution, and there are no in-betweens.
All those  who share this view will not take jabs at each other when these
facts are stated.

Regarding your mention of the use of profanity, the prostitution i refer to
is "intellectual prostitution". and this is my opinion for which i will not
apologize.
As to whether one can aspire to be a good Muslim and still use this word? I
have no reason to believe that using this word makes me any less a person
striving in the cause of Allah.It is far too convenient to box someone in
like that, and infact, one of the responsibilities of being a good muslim is
to tell the truth, and if the truth is describable by such a word, then I see
no problem in telling it like it is.

But Jai, since you say we share the same disdain for the injustice
transpiring at home, and which  all justice and peace loving Gambians and
other  people around the World agree should be condemned ,  I see no problems
then. I will simply urge you to express this unarbitrarily as well as  work
toward the removal of this regime that is a burden on our people.

You asked why i did not contact you to say hello? Frankly, all your screen
names were anything but your real name that i know you by. It was  after you
sent several posts, that i became  certain  that it was you.
But having said all that, I still very much subscribe to our Gambian culture,
and between you and me, you can tell me which one of us you think should have
sent a greeting first, especially since my name was clearly noted on
everything i sent to the bantaba. You are welcome to contact me privately
anytime you want.

Jabou Joh