GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 2000 10:34:08 EDT
Mr. Sey wrote:

"Colley-the gambia l's defence attaché:

There are a lot of us on line who were soldiers like you brother.I and a
many
others were trained in pôl la peyre école nationale de la gendarmerie in
ouakam-from 1989 to 1990.

We are NOT experts like you but we were in that "thing" also.In 1989 i was
together with Sgt.Yaya Darboe,Anthony Correa(who was part of the UN mission
Angola). We were there undergoing an Nco training course in Dakar.We off
course
received our certificat inter-armée there.Mr. Colley you can call Sgt.Tijan
Ndure of the senegalese gendarmerie( Tambacounda station) or Sgt.Masamba
Ndoye
of their presedential guard(riders section) they the senegalese will tell
you
what kind of a soldier i was in their midst.I have nothing to worry about as
far
as military exellence is concerned.Call them and ask them.You may come back
on
your forum of rumours to discredit me with fabrications but the records in
Dakar
are there for life.

Mr. colley in 1989 the speech that ex president joof made to declare the
confederation (frozen) in french he said:"gelée" found me at pôl-la
peyre.MR.
Colley our team was put on stand by ready to join the senegalese soldiers at
Mauritania Border.The need to go was later on superceded by diplomatic
efforts
thus we never went.

Mr.Colley i can fully remember what some of these soldiers were saying. Non
amongst them wanted to be killed for a war they found unnecessary at the
time.Mr.Colley i love those Senegalese more than you because  they were my
good
mates. You know what it means for a soldier to remember or see his mate die
at
war,because you were and you are still one(i hope). " A say Mr.colonel sir
think
deep because you are  SAYING A LOT OF FALLACIES now!"

     The reason that urged me to say  they were DEFEATED  is not to jubilate
but
its rather to expose the error that their Gvt.made in Bissau(don't hide the
truth you know what i mean).When you were receiving those calls at an office
you
used to share with Alhaji Kanteh(commissioner of NBD) Was the permanent
secretary DOS defence there?

There are two famous Gen Seckas in Senegal.They are General Pâthé Secka and
the
one you mentioned in your art.I can't believe that Gen.will call you for
such
operations,however you reserve the right to say what u want.

Mr. Trapateau is not the french chargé d'affaires in the gambia no! no! no!
he
is the head of the pedagogical center in the Gambia.This evening i spoke to
him
he is one of the people i work with every day.So be mindful of spreading
unfounded stories only to gain popularity amongst innocent civilians who are
here to talk politics but not military strategies.

MR COLLEY PLEASE COME AND FACE US  AND LEAVE THESE CIVILIANS ALONE. THEY ARE
POLITICIANS AND THEY PREFER DEMOCRATIC STRATEGIES I HOPE.  JAW JAW IS BETTER
THAN WAR WAR. TRY ME AGAIN I WILL RESPOND ACCORDINGLY BEFORE GOING ON LEAVE
COLONEL SIR!

ESSA BOKARR SEY."

-------------------REPLY--------------REPLY--------REPLY--------------

This is despicable. Frankly, I was going to ignore this man because of the
emptiness of his piece. On second thought, I decided to write because I
remembered urging him to respond to Mr. Colly's postings on the
Casamance/Guinea-Bissau conflicts. I thought that it is only fair that I
come and say my little piece if he comes back and attack Colly; albeit a
very lame attack. I am offended that this man would want to compare his one
year Gendarmerie training with Colly's clearly superior training as
demonstrated by his vast knowledge in military issues. This man went to
Dakar for one year and now want to pretend that he can challenge Colly
….well, in his dreams. It is also puzzling that the Senegalese government
will call upon Gendarmerie personnel instead of their able army to fight a
war in Mauritania. Maybe am missing something here. I do not understand how
someone who was in New York during the Bissau conflict can challenge someone
who was in the front lines in Bissau about what happened in Bissau. I want
you to go back and read carefully what Colly said. That is why am replying
his message and not yours. Even Colly admitted that the Senegalese made
certain errors based on misinformation they were given. So what is your
point in saying that Colly should recognize the mistakes that were made.
Another issue you raised was the issue of General Seck. If you look at
Colly's piece again, you should realize that he was referring to the plural
(we) when he discussed the General's call. He could have easily and
logically said that the General spoke to him personally since Yaya was out
of the country and he was clearly among the top brass in the military. But
unlike you, this man is an honest and humble gentleman. Just because people
like the able General will snub people like you, that does not mean that
they would not talk to fine soldiers like Colly. I knew you would not be
able to come up with facts to contradict Colly. The facts are not there. You
changed nothing about the facts as Colly described them. What he said about
what happened on the ground in Bissau stays. Yaya's motives for entering the
negotiations also stays. Instead of trying to beef up your resume with your
one year Gendarmerie training, address the issue about the Casamance rebels
being caught with Gambian IDs; talk about the Casamance rebels that are
wounded in battle being treated in Gambian hospitals; talk about the
deportation of Senegalese nationals in the aftermath of the April 10 and 11
massacres; talk to us about the arms Libya gave to Yaya; talk to us about
the military jeeps France gave to Yaya etc. As you can see, there are
numerous issues you can address in this forum apart from trying to outdo
Colly's military credentials. You are nothing compared to him. No one need
to come here and parade their resumes. Our writings should speak for
themselves. In my opinion, you are barking the wrong tree with Colly. People
like me love hearing from Colly not because of his military expertise alone,
but because of his candor and his commitment to help get rid of the cancer
in our beloved Gambia. I am a civilian and I and many others welcome Colly's
contributions in this forum and other forums. He has our uncompromising
support. Your behavior in your last posting is the main reason why we are in
our current predicament. We have the inmates running the asylum. Empty
barrels and nonentities shouting down knowledgeable people; shouting them
down with nothing but garbage. Worse of all, the empty barrels do not even
realize how dumb they are. Silence is at times the best medicine for
ignorance. If you have never been in combat before, how on earth can you
challenge battle tested soldiers about the mechanics of war? It is just like
a motor mechanic wanting to operate on a sick patient or a surgeon
dismantling an auto engine. Like I said before, the suits with the Yaya
mindset who could not save our children on April 10 and 11 are at times even
worse than Yaya. Beware.
KB