GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 11:18:03 EDT
In a message dated 8/16/2002 2:12:54 PM , [log in to unmask]
writes:

> Although I am no supporter of UDP and have never been, I think Waa's recent
> accusations in local newspaper publications will be doing more harm to
> their
> party than good. He might be assuming that he is exercising his democratic
> right of free speech but why not call a congress instead of all these dirty
> laundry in public?  If the accusations are true then I am sure he is as
> guilty
> as Darboe since he is a member of the UDP executive.
>
> Momodou Camara

Brother Mo and Sanusi,

One would easily say that these people should have debated this issue in
private for the sake of their party, but perhaps Waa Juwara has the opinion
that he would not get anywhere doing it that way? Just speculation on my
part. However, if  what is alleged is not true or misrepresented, and if Waa
Juwara's reason for speaking out publicly  is to facilitate the formation of
his own party, then he could have simply formed his party and given a simple
statement to the nation as to why he found it necessary to take that action.
Having said all of that, I also think that we in Africa need to realize that
anyone who steps forward to attempt to lead us has to be accountable to us
and has to convince us that they have what it takes both morally and
otherwise to lead us. Therefore, perhaps debating these issues in public is
not a personal attack but an insistance on transperancy which will allow the
people to make informed decisions as to who they feel will be best suited to
lead us.

Jabou Joh