GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 08:09:48 GMT
Katim,

I can't locate the soft copies of the docs I promised you, but I do have the
hard copies. Just let me know where to send it. Regarding a Global Umbrella
movt, we may need to start one from the ground up after all. There's simply
too much egoistm, and slimy personal politics/con-manship involved in some
of the Gambian orgs around - a-la Wash DC Metro area. And the simple truth
is that, none of the orgs command a large-enough following to be taken as
"the voice" of the majority. Knowing Gambians, and from accounts I've heard
from different areas, it's the same copy-cat scenario in most areas around
the world. So, my advice: let word go out to all gambian orgs around the
world to send in their input regarding where they think we ought to be
headed. We can work out the modalities of the inter-organizational
relationship especially as that relates to Finance, etc.

   On Yaya Jammeh and the cancer he is to our nation, I'm glad that
gentlemen like yourself who have been traditionally very liberal (or should
I say really naive?) regarding the approach we should take with him, are
finally coming around. For years, people like you have been speaking a
language to this guy that he simply doesn't understand. Why speak Esperanto
to someone living in Kabada? Get my point? In our debate with Mr. Halifa
Sallah end of last year/beginning of this year, not that I want to start
anything new (myself and Mr. Sallah have established the gist of our
disagreement,) but I warned the gentleman about reading too  much from Sidia
Jatta getting some support from APRC MPs on an accountability/presidential
powers issue in parliament late last year. At the time, Mr. Sallah sounded
really positive that this was the beginning of a new page in Gambian
politics. The dawn of true democracy, from what I gathered. And I retorted
that what we have is nothing more than a democracy simulation - "a sham, a
big lie." At the time, I was dismissed as a "thrash" generator by many.
Well, is there any rational Gambian today who dares stand up, and defend the
democratic credentials of this regime irrespective of what happens in
parliament? If we had an authentic democracy, there won't be any such thing
as an April 10/11th. And there's more.

So, let me give you a little tip: what just happened to the UDP in Basse is
part of a much wider scheme that is as sinister as it is reprehensible. At
the very least, they (Yaya Jammeh and his people) want to lock up the entire
UDP leadership, and kill any if they have to, to hijack the electoral
process once again. In '96, they had Degrees that empowered the military
(Yaya's main henchmen) to disperse around the country, to arrest, harrass,
rape, torture, maim, and kill anyone who stands up to them just so Yaya can
"win." What do you think is the rationale behind giving "police powers" to
the National Guard? It is a DELIBERATE and well-orchestrated plot
master-minded by none other than Yaya Jammeh himself, to give these armed
thugs the "right" to go around the country during the electioneering to
unleash untold terror on the populace for obvious reasons. The so-called
defunct July 22nd Terrorist Movement led by Baba Jobe is only hibernating.
Those who think the movt is dissolved are hallucinating. After what happened
in Basse last weekend, I have no doubt that Baba is re-training his boys for
a pay back even as I write this. I know Baba personally, and I think I
understand his mindset fairly well. Apart from Yaya Jammeh, there simply
isn't a much more stupid and ruthless soul on Gambian soil today! Take it
from me, Baba is getting ready. Only one scenario can avert his ungodly
plans.

The UDP who are their main targets should quickly train a large section of
their youth in security/self defense tactics. Believe me, they'll need it!
Anywhere they go, they need to have tens of their people stationed outside
the meeting arena/village outskirts keeping vigilance. The party needs to
raise funds immediately to buy Walkie/Talkies for instant communications.
Lives will depend on it. They need to look out for, and quickly spot and
disarm agent provocateurs of the APRC. And they really need to decide what
to do when they're fired upon by these govt thugs. Believe me, it's going to
happen. Baba Jobe and Yaya Jammeh on the same team is a deadly combination.
People fail to realize that the only regret Yaya and his people have about
April 10/11th is that the victims' young ages evoked much sympathy around
the world. They're really dying to get to the UDP people, and what happened
last weekend gives them the pretext they need. Anybody who thinks this all
sounds too Nostradamus, is in for a big shock. Unless, the UDP people
prepare themselves for what is  being planned for them, there'll be worse
attrocities than April 10/11th. I'm not proud to predict this, but knowing
Yaya Jammeh's Joseph Goebbles (Baba Jobe,) all hell will break loose in
these dying days of this regime - because that's what it is. What we're
witnessing is the Apartheid regime's tactics in Soweto in the late 80s. Yaya
and his people know quite well that the "game is up." They just don't know
how to give up gracefully after all the shananigans they've been involved in
these past few years.

On the Crude Oil saga, you don't need Parliament's verdict to know what
happened there. Besides, I find it hard to believe that one would truly
expect this APRC-controlled parliament to do justice by Gambians. I was
really skeptical about the wisdom of Dr. Saine's initial proposal that we
declare our support openly for the opposition, but on second thought, that
is exactly the right and honest thing to do. Those of us who have been
liberal with, or naive in their approach to this criminal govt, need to wake
up and smell the coffee. The gloves need to come off, otherwise, there won't
be a place call "home" much longer. At the very least, we need to start
out-witting/out smarting these people every step of the way, because if they
succeed in carrying out their designs, god help us all!

Just the  thoughts of a part-time insomniac...
Good morning!

Saul.