GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hamjatta Kanteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 17:45:00 EST
When i first perused SOS Jaata's Budget Speech, the first thing that came to
mind was how well Jaata reads? I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is in
the negative: Jaata is not a card-carrying economist and his ministerial
chores aside, deep throat has it that he acts also as Jammeh's intellectual
minder - he handles the president's sophisticated paper-work for him as well
as being a personal adviser. Anyway, if he is an avid reader of contemporary
economics and tries to lay his hands on every development economics
literature in print, he probably would have heard of or even read the
Peruvian development economist, Hernando De Soto's exciting new book, The
Mystery of Capital: Why Capitalism Succeeds in the West and Fails Everywhere
Else. [New York: Basic Books, 245pp, 2000, $27.00]. The more I wade through
Jaata's vapid prose and its flair for florid understatements, the more I
became convinced that De Soto's central theme in his new book is all the more
important in development economics - especially in Africa. In The Mystery of
Capital, De Soto forwarded the argument that in developing countries, there
are two economies: the real/formal economy - which gets accounted in a
nation's books and the shadow/underworld/informal economy which exists but is
considered illegal and thus never accounted, overlooked or added to the
nation's books. Now there is nothing new in this - this is fairly
conventional wisdom and an on-the-face-of-it-evidence. What De Soto added to
this fairly conventional wisdom is to argue very persuasively that the shadow
economy that officially doesn't exist is depriving the real economy of far
more investment than the foreign investment/capital, we are made to believe
as the be-all and end-all of invigorating developing economies. Most of these
internal investments - according to De Soto - is tied up in the form of
capital inherent in informal property rights - arranged on informal customary
laws which have not fully been instituted into the law proper and thus
depriving the economy as a whole of much needed investment.
In his review of the De Soto book, the Newsweek and Washington Post
syndicated columnist, Robert Samuelson, sums up De Soto's findings this way:
"According to De Soto, clearly defined property rights generate what
economists call positive externalities or benefits shared by everyone. Not
only do property rights help people borrow more easily, because property can
be pledged as formal collateral, they also create information needed by
markets. If property rights are recorded, for example utility companies
easily deliver power and bill customers more easily. But without such rights,
markets are untapped and commerce is disconnected from much of the legal
system. People deal only with those they know and trust or through informal
associations that substitute for formal law. Extralegal arrangements flourish
because they are essential for survival. Some of these arrangements are
ethical, but others are corrupt. In Peru, for example, bribes raise the cost
of running a small business by 10 to 15 percent. Aside from depressing
economic growth, the denial of property rights destroys any constituency for
popular capitalism." Implicit in De Soto's broadside vis-à-vis "popularising"
capitalism and eradicating poverty is the knock-on effect the rule of the law
has on not only in attracting foreign capital but also harnessing overlooked
local capital. Even though I have respectfully taken issues with the sweeping
optimism of De Soto's property rights theory and their lack thereof in
developing economies, I bring it to the attention of people because:
1.) De Soto's dichotomy of two economics within one economy in developing
economies will be very useful to understand what is happening in the Gambia.
2.) The most disingenuous statement in SOS Jaata's sodding Budget Speech was
his cheap and hoary -slogans - like "good governance", "poverty reduction",
"accelerated growth", "liberalisation of the economy" and the endless empty
gimmicks of the new economy speak - on how far he and his gov't had gone in
poverty eradication and sustaining good governance in the Gambia. [Indeed,
the 2001 Budget Speech is entitled: Good Governance for Accelerated Growth
and Reinforced Poverty Reduction.]
In introducing 2001's Budget Speech central theme, Jaata observed that:
"Drawing from the prevalence of acute poverty across a broader section of our
populace and the dire need to alleviate it, the theme of the year 2001 budget
speech continues to centre on Poverty Reduction with particular emphasis on
the importance of good governance for accelerated growth and reinforced
poverty reduction." Splendid. On the same brazen length and in lieu of the
aforesaid, Jaata then informed us that: "However, the attainment of sustained
poverty reduction requires the existence of a good governance environment,
which is found to be a prerequisite for successful participatory poverty
alleviation programme. Good governance facilitates poverty reduction through
promoting opportunities, facilitating empowerment, and enhancing security
with the cumulative effect of increasing confidence in the Gambian economy."
Ah "empowerment"! That hoary slogan that African despots shamelessly rehearse
in their sodding speeches whilst asphyxiating the body politic of whatever we
call civic culture - a conditional ingredient of "empowerment" we have. And
so how did Jaata's gov't "empower" Gambians and increase "confidence in the
Gambian economy"? Ditto Jaata in Section I. paragraph 9 of the 2001 Budget
Speech: "Mr. Speaker, facilitating empowerment involves the reform of the
public administrative system (which is firmly
entrenched in our Local Government Reform and Decentralisation Program). This
will make the delivery of public goods more RESPONSIVE ACCOUNTABLE and
EFFICIENT through the ACTTVE and DIRECT PARTICIPATION of the citizenry. It
would also involve the STRENGTHENING OF AN INDEPENDENT LEGAL SYSTEM as well
as the removal of all barriers that borders on gender, ethnicity. regional,
regional or social status. [All emphasis mine.]
It must be Krugman - I'll have to check this later when I'm freer - who
cogently wrote that: sometimes you have to give points for sheer chutzpah." I
hate to do this but I really have to pause here and duly give Jaata 10 points
for his sheer nerve to remind us first hand what it is exactly we find
opprobrious about this gov't. Now it is not out of boyish spite I laugh and
spit in Jaata's above statement. There is a delicious irony and conceit in
all the emphasised words and or phrases above, specifically the
"strengthening of an independent legal system." Shortly before I came online,
I did take a peek at my mails and the breaking news was - especially in the
form of Brother KB's incisive commentary/analysis - of Jammeh throwing the
"independent legal system" into further disarray by sacking several senior
figures of the judiciary with Justice Lartey, the Chief Justice topping the
list. Surely, if Jaata informs us in his sodding Budget Speech that the mess
that is Africa can only be revamped into better by "empowering" her citizenry
and diligently reminds us that: "facilitating empowerment involves the reform
of the public administrative system (which is firmly entrenched in our Local
Government Reform and Decentralisation Program). This will make the delivery
of public goods more RESPONSIVE, ACCOUNTABLE and EFFICIENT through the ACTIVE
and DIRECT PARTICIPATION of the citizenry. It would also involve the
STRENGTHENING OF AN INDEPENDENT LEGAL SYSTEM as well as the removal of all
barriers that borders on gender, ethnicity, regional or social status" we
weren't only expecting him to talk the talk but more importantly, to walk the
walk. All the things that Jaata cited above as the ingredients for
"facilitating empowerment" has been grossly violated and abused by his gov't.
At the time of writing this, Jaata's gov't had violated the basic tenets of
"strengthening of an independent legal system": Jammeh's sacking of the Chief
Justice and some of his colleagues have turned the judiciary topsy-turvy. As
for "the delivery of public goods more RESPONSIVE, ACCOUNTABLE and EFFICIENT
through the ACTIVE and DIRECT PARTICIPATION of the citizenry"', folks can
just throw their hands up in exasperation: The gov't is forwarding pieces of
legislative junk they wilfully call constitutional amendments that will roll
back the frontiers of the already raped "good governance" tools like
"accountability", "local empowerment", "probity", "transparency" and the rest
of the shallow slogans Jaata was busy rehearsing. Oh and how could I ever
forget this? The long awaited local gov't elections are still stuck in a time
warp. All the basic principles that make up a gov't have been flagrantly
abused and thrown into a cataclysmic overrun by Jammeh.
Since they have violated all the basic tenets of good governance", must it
surprise anyone then when Jaata informs - and this is to his credit - that in
fact they have failed in alleviating poverty: Instead under their
supervision, poverty is on the lurch. As he puts it: "From 60% overall, in
the ILO study of l999 the proportion of Gambians subsisting below the poverty
line has increased to 69% in 1998." But then a gov't that breeds on lying to
the public just can't itself even if it for once tells the truth; like a kid
in a candy store, Jaata couldn't help but parade this silver-ware to deflect
attention from his frankness over their dismal record on poverty alleviation:
"Over the past year much have been devoted to this fight and one of the
fruits borne out of this, is the improvement in the UNDP Human Development
ranking which improved from 163 out of 174 countries in 1999 to 161 out of
173 in 2000." Need anyone point out to Jaata that virtually all the states at
the bottom of the UNDP Report are failed states embroiled in civil or other
sorts of war - Sierra Leone, most of the countries in Great Lakes Region of
Africa, the Horn of Africa, Sudan, Afghanistan, Liberia, etc. etc. are
countries and regions that come to mind without checking them out. Talk less
of the crucial point that the UNDP Report - whilst it remains the best around
this end for measuring Human Development - is arguably afflicted with
intellectually simplistic, sweeping, generalising and even misleading
itinerary a ration is supposed to have taken during the period under review.
If - and as Amartya Sen, who laid down the intellectual foundation of the
Human Development Index, himself, puts it - human development is defined "as
expanding the choices people have over of things they can do", is there any
doubt about the manifest deterioration of things in the Gambia and how far
farfetched it is for Jaata to claim any progress in reversing the rising tide
of poverty in the Gambia'?
Yet, if political mismanagement by the Jammeh gov't had seen the Gambia
lurching towards further economic malaise, what is it exactly had this
situation done to the economy in real terms? First we need to try - if we can
- and piece together what constitutes Jammeh's economic philosophy. Jammeh's
Gambia is a tale of two economies: There's the shadow economy administered by
Jammeh and what I shall call the Jammeh Cartel and the real economy that
still is a continuity of the Jawara years
and administered by mandarins at the Dept. of State Finance and Economic
Affairs and whatever directives come from the Fund and the World Bank. From
the AFPRC to its metamorphosis into the APRC economic logic and or practice
was largely rooted in this two-pronged approach: The economic continuity of
the IMF and World Bank imposed panacea that they the AFPRC inherited from the
PPP and there's the Peter Pan economics which is more or less Jammeh's own
perception of how to stimulate growth and sustain it - now I'm having a good
laugh at this assuming Jammeh can think that deep. But hey, seriously there
was something called Peter Pan economics which holds that: borrow as much
money as you possibly can, then pump it all into constructing public
infrastructure and, well, you will be stimulating economic growth and -
hallelujah praises are to "Allah's World Bank" - you would have done what
Jawara failed ever to do in well over three decades: Job creation,
improvement and radical increment of public infrastructure, ambitious renewal
of some derelict projects that were fraught with cash, white elephant
structures etc, etc. And so in an unprecedented manner, "projects" began
sprouting all over the country to the amazement of the many who were
predicting a cash strapped AFPRC to go bust in less than a year.
Why on earth did Jammeh embark on such a radical and unprecedented launching
of "projects"? Aside from the weird idea that the role of gov't is to just
take money from people through taxation and throw them into building schools,
hospitals, roads, bridges, etc, etc, Jammeh's rationale is more to do with
political expediency in strengthening Ins position especially legitimising
himself in the eyes of those who view his regime as illegal. But how were
these "projects" simply going to do to that? At the heart of Jammeh Peter Pan
economics, is a simpleton's logic: Seeing is believing; people easily believe
what they see not what they are told to believe by cynics and critics. Soon
after these "projects" began to take shape, it easily won for Jammeh the
propaganda war that he had been engaged with Jawara for much part of 1994 and
1995: As far as Jawara is concerned, the public had switched sides and the
era of Jammeh Musa had really begun. What surprised me about this whole
thing, is how supposedly sophisticated people couldn't see through this scam
and began heaping praises on Jammeh for his efforts in rescuing the Gambia
from the clutches of oblivion the ancien regime of Jawara had thrown the
Gambia into. However, pork barrel politics was not all this Peter Pan
economics was about - if any thing it was really a very convenient way of
killing two birds with one stone. Apart from winning public support, Jammeh
was able with these "projects", to enter into business with new associates
like Pierre Kujabi, Amadou Samba, Tariq Musa, his Kujabi cousins and any
other shadowy figure in for a quick killing that could be trusted. Thus all
these "projects" were never tendered and everything went to the Cartel Jammeh
created together with Kujabi, Samba, Musa and his Kujabi cousins. Any pie
that is hot in the Gambian economy and between them, they've got their
fingers into it. Whilst ordinary business men and women complained about the
rapid deterioration of the general economic situation, members of the Jammeh
Cartel were busy lining their pockets and from a poor soldier, Jammeh quickly
transformed - perhaps more speedily than Mobutu - as the richest Gambian
ever. So Jammeh got his millions and managed to fool people that his is a
decent and new era for the Gambia - but at a price.
The price of Jammeh's adventures at the expense of the taxpayer, is to
deplete the Gambia's reserves whilst lying his head off about manna from the
sky - "Allah's World Bank" - and plunged the Gambia further into the debt
trap. Logic dictates that at some stage the dough he borrowed to fund his
adventures had to be paid back to his lenders and its knock-on effects on the
economy was to see debt-servicing gobbling more than a third of the annual
budget. As Jaata informs us in his sodding Budget Speech, "The Gambia's total
debt stock which stood at US$390 million in 1990 has by 1999 reached $566
million representing a 45% increase in nominal value terms. Of this, 75% is
external and 250o domestic debt this translates into US$425 million and
US$141 million respectively. The external debt burden is expected to reach
US$439.5 in nominal value terms by year ending 2000." Now I hope people will
appreciate why I said earlier that Jaata's gloating of climbing two places up
in the UNDP's league table is bit of a tongue-in-cheek when one looks at the
whole picture. Here he informs us that the debt situation is depleting
whatever they have to expend on human development but is brave enough to te