GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 11:15:19 -0000
Hamjatta
I passed by the office on my way to the airport and found your rejoinder and
that of Saul.

I am leaving with a very heavy heart for not being able to sink my teeth in
the fruit that you would have put on my lap. However, I must congratulate
you and Saul for speaking your mind even though I believe you have drawn
conclusions before even making investigations.

Since you have more questions than answers and you have the oepn mind to
consider my explanations, it would have been best to pose the questions and
then pass your judgment after I give my answers. That is better than the
clumsy attempts to give the impression that I masterminded everything that
happened during the coup period, or should I withdraw the clumsy since I am
yet to prove my case. O.K. I will withdraw it. We will take it for granted
that you have put your case and it is now my duty to convince you or anybody
with the same thinking to accept a contrary view.

I must say that this is the healthiest thing that could happen to The Gambia
as we enter the 21st century. I hope you will not stop with Halifa Sallah. I
do accept for all bullets to be fired at me. I also hope that you will draw
all public figures to the firing line and make them account for themselves
during the coup period.

I will address your concerns on the issue of social science and beliefs.

Your conception of the 1997 Constitution is interesting. In order to give my
submission more weight, I will postulate that the 1997 Constitution has all
the basic faults that could be found in the 1970 Constitution and other laws
under the Jawara regime, and has fundamental provisions that are
indispensable for a democratic society that the 1970 Constitution did not
have. This is my postulation. I guess you and Saul now see how far I am
ready to put my integrity on the line as far as the Constitution is
concerned. I owe no regrets. It is ridiculous to call the 1997 Constitution
a Jammeh Constitution. I will now offer a challenge to any Gambian, be of
the legal profession or not, to contend with the postulate I have
transmitted.

I even wanted to call names of lawyers who have called the constituion a
non-sense constituion to take part in this debate but that may amount to
some form of pettiness. So it is best to give a general challenge to this
postulate.

By a copy of this memorandum, I would also like to tell Saul Khan that he
has added more to the load he has already put on my head by giving the
impression that I launched into my +ACI-usual monologues, defending the then Lt.
Jammeh, and a constitution that gives a select group of people carte
blanche' to do whatever they want in the Gambia w/o ever facing any
consequences.+ACI-

On my return, I will weigh whether this was an attempt to try to be clever
or very clumsy trickery. I will be back by Sunday, 5 December. The battle
for the truth continues.

Halifa Sallah.