GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 11:43:44 EST
Ndey,

good to hear from you.
It is evident that our people are suffering,  and all one has to know is how
the people make a living, the job situation in the country and the fact that
even in so-called good times, the average Gambian has no means to even start
a small enterprise to feed and take care of his family needs. Couple that
with the advent of a regime that has no idea what it means to actually run
the affairs of a country, and you have a situation that is a veritable
emergency.

This is just a bunch of ignorant people who got lucky in their attempt to
overthrow a government, and after they did it, they like the power and the
fact that they can use it to steal as much as they can and they are not about
to give that up. End of story.

Yaya Jammhe's hiring and firing of civil servants, his threats to put people
six feet under, , and the police state he has imposed on our people is the
best proof that these people have no idea what they are doing at all. their
decisions are based solely on putting in place a group of supporters who ill
help them to continue their reign of terror on our people. That is what his
choices for office are based on, whether he is choosing cabinet staff or
civil servants, and the fact that we have laws on how to conduct these
affairs means nothing to them. Infact, the fear that abiding by the laws
will not enable them to conduct their illegal business is precisely why they
have set aside our constitution.

Jammehs' regime is clueless enough to think that they can take care of the
affairs of a country by basing their selections on this criterion, rather
than putting together a competent team and having a competent civil service
that is comprised of people who are competent in their various fields to
address the needs of our peopple and country.
They think they can "wing it" by doing the minimum to pacify the people every
once in a while.

However, it goes back to what i have always maintained whenever it was
advocated that a dialogue should be established between this regime and the
people. These are not people who are motivated to do what is right and to
operate within the law. They have  discarded our laws long ago and set up an
outlaw state simply because their only purpose is power and money.
The Jammeh regime does not care whether the average Gambian starves or
whether our youth get jobs or opportunities when they finish school.
They do not care whether our country is partitioned off and sold to the
highest bidder so long as they get the biggest piece if the pie.
They do not care whether the struggling man or woman has a chance to earn a
decent wage or any wage at all to take care of his or her familie's needs.

They only care that they have become overnight millionaires,  and that those
who aid them in this brutal venture are also amassing wealth while the
majority of Gambians can hardly  even feed their families. Were it not for
those on the outside sending money to their families back home, many a
Gambian would have been in much worse condition by now.
The Gambian people will see the light soon one way or the other because the
tactics of the Jammeh regime can only last so long before it implodes,  and
it is high time that the people realize that this regime does not care
whether they eat or go hungry so long as they and theirs' are doing just fine
robbing  us of what little we have.

Jabou Joh