GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 12:15:52 GMT
Dampha,

After doubting you and Ebrima's source's story on Ousman Jammeh accepting
the IG spot if offered to him, I did receive two private email messages from
people agreeing with my assessment. However, I've since spoken to several
friends of Ousman - people who have known the gentleman from Primary School,
and to the last man, they ALL said almost exactly what you and Ebrima's
source said about Ousman Jammeh. The only character assessment of Ousman
that I was accurate in, is saying that the gentleman is nice and smart. My
whole assessment was based on his comportment during a four-hour informal
meeting, which I realize now is terribly flawed. And his boys told me that
I've read too much from Ousman's anti-PPP govt rulings. They've confirmed
his closeness with Hassan Jallow, and his penchant for "toeing the line."
I've been told things that I don't even want to go into, but the point is, I
offer my total and unreserved apologies to yourself and Ebrima's man for
casting doubt on your Ousman Jammeh opinions. I simply don't know a darn
thing about this fellow apparently.

Mr. Camara and Manneh, what can I say? We're dead wrong on this man. The
people I've spoken to about Ousman know him a lot more than any of us.
Besides, some of these people have too much to loose if Ous falls down. At
this point, I have absolutely no doubt that they're all being truthful.

On Kabir's article, Kebba, I'm glad you've seen what I saw. Not to be
hyperbolic or anything, that article is simply the most lucid and articulate
rendition of what we're dealing with. It's simply the best I've read on our
situation -whether here or anywhere else. As far as I'm concern, anyone who
fails to "get it" after reading that article is a lost cause. There's
nothing you can do to salvage such a soul. It's really been a great source
of reference and inspiration for me. Any time some fool tries to throw me
off, I run back to that article to clear my head. If you can count the
number of times you've read it, you haven't begin reading it yet...

Good morning.

Saul.