GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pakaramo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 17:11:27 -0800
The headlines in our national newspapers have been filled with court cases
lately.  This is not new and I certainly do not blame the press. The success
or failure of any medium depends partially on its HEADLINE Stories. The
court cases in recent publications are however, not just any ordinary case.

Majority of the cases heard by the High Court in recent months involve Mr.
Babanding Futanka Cissokho, the GAMALIAN business tycoon. For instance for
example (chief), in the Tuesday issue of The Point, "Sale Of Mariatou Beach
Hotel Put Off" and in the Observer, "Babanding wants at least D125M for
Mariatou Hotel." There are an estimated twenty-five or more such headlines
in the past six months. Are there any ordinary Gambians who are allowed
unlimited appeals?  The answer, my fellow list members, is an emphatic NO!
I disagree with those people who may argue that anyone can appeal a case as
long as their resources can last them.  Mr Cissokho has had more appeals
than a death row inmate, thus making a mockery of our Judicial System.

The Courts, from the District Tribunals to the Supreme Court, should not be
tied up with frolicsome appeals when other important cases are adjourned for
years.

Justice Delayed is Justice Denied

This is my opinion, what do you think?