GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ousman Bojang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 20:19:03 EST
Below is an Observer article. Tamsir Jallow reacts to the UDP.

 Tuesday, January 16, 2001

  TAMSIR SAYS JUWARA LACKS THE SPIRIT ACCUSES UDP OF OVER-REACTION

The majority leader of the National Assembly, Tamsir Jallow, has accused the
leadership of the main opposition UDP of over-reacting to developments that
followed the death of the two UDP National Assembly members, Saturday,
January 6. Talking to us in his office at the Assembly complex yesterday, Mr
Jallow said, "Since the tragic death of our colleagues, Samura and Kassama,
every Gambian has been so sympathetic.

Their deaths have nothing to do with politics and no APRC member ever linked
it with politics. "Everything that was done by Assembly members and the state
including the giving out of funds to the bereaved families were for
humanitarian reasons and nothing else. UDP is not expected to act the way
they have been acting, making unnecessary comments and accusations.

"What they should understand is that the two Assembly members did not belong
to the UDP alone but also the National Assembly and The Gambia as a nation.
They cannot be sympathetic and sad more than other Gambians." Mr Jallow said
during such unfortunate situations, "people's minds need to be appeased and
not aggrieved. You don't incite people. It is unethical and against the law
and their reactions is tantamount to incitement. UDP should desist from
making people angry at all times by poisoning their minds."

Lamin Waa Juwara
On Lamin Waa Juwara's call for people not to sign the condolence book for the
deceased members and for the speaker of the National Assembly, Mustapha
Wadda, to resign, Mr Jallow reacted, "The problem with Waa Juwara is that he
does not have the spirit. He has not given any concrete evidence for the
resignation of the honourable speaker. The Gambia has passed that stage when
politicians will make unnecessary and childish remarks and accusation against
individuals just for cheap popularity. The speaker is far more patriotic than
Juwara."

National reconciliation
Mr Jallow said the UDP's reactions since the fatal accident of January 6,
"have not been in line with prospects for reconciliation among political
parties. The UDP still sees the government as an enemy. That, if not
revisited, will impede the development of the nation." Mr Jallow however, did
not say why the bodies of the two dead members were not allowed to be laid in
state at the National Assembly, which, the UDP said, it felt slighted at.

Juwara denies UDP supporters wanted to burn Assembly says shariah is not
applicable

UDP's propaganda secretary, Lamin Waa Juwara, has dismissed reports that his
party supporters planned to burn down the National Assembly building
following President Jammeh's alleged refusal to allow the bodies of Buba
Samura and Abdou Kassama to be laid in state at the National Assembly. Mr
Juwara said, "This is utter rubbish. It's unfounded. I first read about it in
some paper. I do not see why militants should go and burn the National
Assembly.

I do not think there is any truth in that. I think it is all fabrication.
They have made the mess and they think they can shift the blame to us."
Juwara said, "The UDP militants are under the direction of our party. They
will never do any sort of madness. If we wanted to do that, we would have
done it long since with all provocations, harassment and intimidations that
they had done." Mr Juwara added, "The UDP's best bet is our votes which we
will guard, to ensure free and fair elections in the country." Constitutional
reforms Commenting on the proposed constitutional amendments, Mr Juwara said,
"This has serious political implications.

I think his (Jammeh's) principal legal adviser, who is the attorney general,
is not the best of politicians. Jammeh's administration should reconsider the
proposed constitutional changes. Such a move is not good for The Gambia
including the APRC itself because I cannot understand what more power
President Jammeh would need to the extent that he has to appoint village
heads."

Mr Juwara described the APRC administration as, "a confused government,"
claiming that President Jammeh "is being advised by people who are not
politically mature. How can he appoint village alkalolus? That can only
alienate the people. That can erode your support because the people are no
fools, they should decide for themselves, nobody should decide for them,"
Juwara contended.

Shariah
Mr Juwara warned President Jammeh not to contemplate introducing shariah in
the country, "because shariah is not applicable in The Gambia. President
Jammeh should rather think of ways of revamping the economy and democracy."