GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
kalilu camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 18:01:35 GMT
My dear Friend,
Thank you for your advice and practical idea.I hope that this will be
adopted by the Gambian people.But one thing is true perhaps in your country
is that the president being challenged got elected by voting.
What we have is a miltary leader who uses the electroral process as a
coverup to force his will!He has no real respect for majority vote.
When Yaya met with the Gambians in new york he was asked by a gentleman
about this question he started laughing,casually asking in his self
procaimed wisedom:"Do you know how much it cost to transport a ballot box
from Gambia to the United States!"These are his exact words!He was Aked
about Human Right Abuses by me;He snapped in without even trying to
understand my question:"What human rights!" I swear to god he acted like his
brain was made out of wood!I wondered to myself how can a good
God do this to The Gambia people.I am yet to figure the answer out.
  WE can vote all we want but he will not let our wishes surface,to him
we do not have any rights!To him we do not deserve to be heard! To him
our collective desire is a joke to be laughedoff!To him to get him out you
need to engage him in a war!He has the utmost snob for intelegence!
  Nevertheless we should adopt this system of voting by mail.It is very cost
effective and a proven means of exercising ones right to vote.
  But unless this election is monitored by an independent board such as the
UN we can wish our collective desires good bye! Yaya doesnt have it in him
to step down in the name of Gambian people.He has shown enough disrespect
for the country to attest to that!
  Unless we put in place a foreign and fair independent monitors who cannot
be intimidated by Yaya we can dream if we may but forget a fair electoral
process!
  The Gambia is a nation under siege its no normal stragedy that shall free
her! It will take more than a usual election to free her.
              sincerely kalilu