GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Malamin Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 18:20:14 +0000
'I was dismissed from NCP' Dembo 'By-Force' alleges

by Lamin Drammeh

Hon Dembo Bojang, alias Dembo By-Force, a former NCP member of Parliament
for Bakau Constituency in the First Republic has alleged that he had been
dismissed from the National Convention Party (NCP) by its leader, Sheriff
Mustapha Dibba. Hon Bojang, who is now the UDP member for the same
constituency, told the Daily Observer that he had been dismissed from the
NCP because he and his people were accused of 'being money conscious' by Mr
Dibba and that's "why they can't join the NCP".

"If I were money conscious, I would not have joined the NCP for the past
twenty years and going through many difficulties which I was not paid for."
He said if it was for money, he would have joined the PPP because they had
money and had trapped him from all angles to join them but he refused.

Asked whether it would not amount to a betrayal of the NCP after being with
them for so long, he said it was not a betrayal but a decision taken by Mr
Sheriff Dibba himself. He disclosed that when the NCP was banned, he
convened a meeting of the party's secretariat and asked all the members to
join the UDP. He said Mr Sheriff Dibba should have contacted him on the
speculation that he intended joining the APRC if no presidential candidate
was unanimously adopted by the coalition before talking to the press. Mr
Bojang said it was news to him when he saw it in the papers because, "I
personally have not discussed any such matter with anyone."

He described Mr Dibba as a good leader, fit to lead the country but "I fear
that he could not make it now because of the time frame. He is getting old
and I don't think he will be able to contest for the NCP again. Hon Bojang
said Sheriff Mustapha Dibba should have thanked the people of Bakau for
their good job and loyalty towards him before the banning of the party,
instead of accusing them of being money-hungry. He said he and the people of
Bakau were now committed to the UDP and there was no doubt that he would
thrash any party that contested Bakau. .