GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 09:17:31 GMT
Mr. Jeng,

You're right on the money. Many Gambians still have a problem analyzing the
defunct Jawara admn vis-a-vis Jammeh's. The truth is, the two issues are
mutually exclusive. Jawara led a corrupt, inept and totally incompetent
regime. Regardless of what Yaya Jammeh does/does not do, that fact is
unchangeable. In other words, no amount of failure on Yaya's part will
exonerate Jawara. The fact that he and his supporters are saying the things
they're  saying about Yaya, says more about them than it does about the
present regime. I'm not a supporter of Yaya Jammeh, but I do not believe for
a minute that the PPP govt. would have done any of the things that Yaya has
done since taking over. Like you've put it very aptly: The Pa just don't get
it!

I believe he is a decent old man. I say this because since being overthrown,
he has resisted the temptation to blame his cronies. All he had to do is
turn on one, and people will believe his side of the story. (Yaya and his
boys were singing his praise weeks after kicking him out.) It takes a
certain character to resist such "self-preserving urge?" But, what the Pa
needs to do is write his memoirs so posterity can learn from his terrible
mistakes. He is not being grateful to Gambians whose trust he has betrayed
all those years. Yaya Jammeh has s'thing to apologize for. But Jawara has an
even longer list! I would have asked the Pa if he would apologize for
failing my generation if he had held a forum in DC. This is not to shame
him, but to ask him to do the honorable thing. It's a shame I never had the
chance.

Saul.