GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Beran jeng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 11:08:56 -0400
Commonwealth Observers Declare "No Interest" in Election Outcome

The Independent

October 15, 2001
Posted to the web October 15, 2001

Patrick Gomez
Banjul, the Gambia

The Commonwealth Observers currently in The Gambia told the press Friday
that they have no interest in the outcome of the presidential election of
October 18.

In a prepared statement read out to the press at the Kairaba Beach hotel by
Honourable Sangma, chairperson of the team and former Speaker, Lok Sabha,
India, the observer mission made it clear that they have no supervisory or
executive role in the election.

"We are here to make an honest, independent and impartial assessment of the
election process as a part of ongoing Commonwealth efforts to promote,
protect and strengthen democracy," he said.

On the mandate of the Commonwealth Observer team here, he said it is "to
consider the various factors impinging on the credibility of the electoral
process as a whole and to determine in its own judgement whether the
conditions exist for a free expression of will by the electors and if the
results reflect the wishes of the people."

The chairperson also informed the press that they will not interfere in the
process but "will act with neutrality, impartiality, objectivity and
independence."

The Group acknowledged it will not be able to be present at every polling
station or counting center, but promised, "we will be able to take a
representative sample."

Although the Group will meet the IEC, political parties and non-governmental
groups to be briefed on arrangements for the elections, their immediate
priority is "to be briefed on arrangement for the elections." "After we have
witnessed the immediate pre-election period, the campaigning and the media,
we will observe the polling itself and the counting of the votes," the
chairman said.

He said that on Tuesday tomorrow they would deploy around the country to
observe the election on the ground.

"We will return here after polling to consider our report, which we will
write here and sign before we depart", Sangma said.

The honourable chairperson said they are aware that other observer missions
are currently operating in the country and said that they will surely
cooperate with them.

He disclosed that the team will submit a report to the Commonwealth
secretary-general who will in turn forward it to the government of The
Gambia, the IEC, the leadership of all the political parties taking part in
the elections and then to all Commonwealth governments. "The report will be
made publicly available here and throughout the Commonwealth," he promised.

Meanwhile, a four-member British group, three from the British parliament
and one from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office also arrived over the
weekend to work as election observers.

British parliamentarians Tom Roger Gale and Nigel Jones, and Orlando
Ames-Lewis the Desk Officer for The Gambia at the Foreign and Commonwealth
Office in London will be monitoring the October 18 election in the Greater
Banjul Area and further field.

However, a press release from the British High Commission here said it is
not yet decided which specific areas will be monitored by the British team,
which will leave The Gambia on October 20.

Thomas (Tom) Cox a Labour party MP was a member of the Labour Party
Department Committees for Environment and Transport. He was also a member of
the Labour Party Committee for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs in 1997.

Mr. Cox is also a member of the UK delegation of the Council of Europe and
Western Europe Union.

Roger Gale a Conservative Member of Parliament and television producer and
broadcaster was a delegate to the Council of Europe from 1987-1989.

Nigel Jones a Liberal Democrat in the House of Commons holds a position
within the governing body of the British Association for Central and Eastern
Europe. Jones has special interests in trade and industry transport,
restructuring of defense industries information technology, sport and
international development.