GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Burama FL Jammeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 2014 21:12:08 -0500
We were found a Republic. That simply mean ‘the people’ are the sovereign - no other being! We adopted democracy because so far is the best political system that afford all of us equitable participation in managing this collective belonging. Our claims for that to be truly the case (‘A Functional Institutional Democratic Republic of The Gambia’) is a legitimate cause. Had we focus on this simply RIGHT and avoid all other distractions we would have probably by now (after 50 years) broke the camel’s back. Unfortunately we were/are distracted to play the political games of Jawara and Yahya on their terms.  The reasons for our inabilities were many some our faults and others not so much - recognizing we’re a virgin nation and democracy is foreign to our collective cultures.

The Gambia being a Democratic Republic is hence a given! Yahya and/or anyone for that matter may call for a kingdom and/or theology - it will not happen. More importantly as a nation this is the only thing (the nation, the ownership and collective participation in governance) we share in common. We’re and will be different in all else - tribes, religions, skin colors, heights, spouses, sexual orientations, etc. This was partly why it is also un-natural our efforts to suggest every citizen [especially those against A(F)PRC)] to support one candidate for a supposed common/greater good.

What we need are fair, measurable and veritable systems that ensures every citizen freely participate in the management of The Gambia - Democracy. The bottom-line is that democracy never arrived at our shores but by name. Let us begin to demand democracy right now. We can’t and shouldn’t wait for the next president - why should we? Let us not be distracted to believe electing one president and/or another will fix these problems and make us a functioning democracy. If history is anything to go by exchanging presidents would only mean continuation with ‘NEW SHERIFF’ in town.

As a people of a nation we should at all times be suspicious of anyone we entrust with power to preside over our collective affairs. In anticipation of what could/may go wrong democracy establishes institution and set of rules that dictate the manner and scope such powers maybe exercise in our interest. Its called ‘Limited Government’ -  meaning only as allowed by law. This has nothing to do with a particular person  or another but only to contain the human lust for power if not checked.

Our nation state was born in 1965! Many wonder if it can survive. A good read is a book by Berkeley Rice - Enter Gambia: Birth of The Improbable Nation. With those doubts the few educated probably more hungry for power than bettering the people argued we could and did. Those arguments and doubters began on a false premise - they failed to acknowledged we have been living there for thousands of years before the arrival of explorers, traders, missionaries, etc. that divided us into nation state. Unfortunately the few educated fall for these false premise and continued to measure our output on standards of colonial administration rather than the real output by inclusion of subsistence outputs. These failed to take account of the people in relation to raw factors of production but more importantly how an average Gambian uses those factors. To date Gambia measures GDP by banks, government and Parastal outputs. I have not idea how they truly account for the output of private businesses and agricultural output. For instance if a business like a Hotel or Soap Factory is not required to report returns on standard accounting reports with an acceptable accounting principles - how do we know the output? I know we tax them not on income but an arbitrary government classification. Besides wages/salaries income taxes almost everything else in The Gambia is up to date tax in this arbitrary manner - pure laziness of the educated with either those who labor for their income lost to government tyranny and/or the state is losing by not adequately collecting as much from some. Either one is not good - after almost 50 years of self-rule.

Probably there is a consensus that The Republic of The Gambia is a poor nation. This is not completely true if you consider it from self-reliant point of view. It is also not true if you compare us with some other nation states such as Switzerland, Malta, Cyprus, etc. It is absolutely not true compared to Walmart that has a balance sheet with Total Assets = US$203.11 billion and an estimated total employees of about 1.6 million (almost the same population as Gambia). It maybe a good idea for poverty alleviation to call on Michael T Duke (CEO Walmart) to run our nation as a business an each citizen gets paid at least US$7/hour. This is neither to suggest these nations are not naturally opportune than Gambia in some way nor Gambia is a profit entity. These nations are also naturally deficient but the difference is the management of what you have and how much you can attract from outside. Equally a nation is not a profit entity in its business sense but every resource of the nation supposed to multiply if we are to prosper.

Take a minute to consider the interaction of the following factors and the number of people that obtained in our nation:

1. Human population of about 250 - 350,000 people
2. Total area of about 11,000 square kilometers
3. Water surface about 1,300 square kilometers - over half stay fresh all year (in 1965)
4. Rainfall about 1000 inches per annum
5. Forest cover in 2010 is 48000 square kilometers
6. Agricultural land in 2009 is 6650 square kilometers
7. Settlements as share of the land

I can add many other variables to this list but these are enough to make a point. Noticed that 5, 6 and 7 would naturally give way to one and another. For a good payday we needed a good CEO - unfortunately we had Jawara for 30 years and Yahya for 20 years and counting. Even an average CEO can make profit out of the combination of these resources - Jawara and Yahya instead impoverished our people.

Naturally we were/are not as poor as poor management exposed us into. My father used to produced over 200-100kg bag of peanuts. My mother’s (3-wives of my father) rice productions used to feed the family all year around. Not sure the size of sorghum and maze because they’re just thrown in the mix. In addition oranges and mangoes go rotten. Animal husbandry - he has few cows/cattle, bunch of goats and sheep and as well poultry. This is also true for many average farm-families across the country. Have we ever wonder how can such families be poor yet we were/are poor? Bad national CEOs (Presidents) so far - Period!

The population density at the time was 22.73 - 31.83 people/sq. kilometer.  World Bank 2010 estimates has Gambia’s population density at 172.84 people/sq. kilometer. That raw numbers put a stress on the resources already but is half the story - this is poorly skewed towards the urban setting while the rural setting is left fallow and un-used. With almost half of River Gambia remained fresh for most of the year and our land relatively flat what can’t we produce to feed ourselves and sell what’s left of it to our neighbors. We had wood/wood products to meet most construction needs. The last I check Gambia still import school and hospital furniture - seriously! Our metal workshops and carpenters can’t make those damn beds, chairs, tables, moving /rolling cubicles and moving/rolling blood/solution hangers? You tell me!

Certainly we had our share of environmental issues yet most are our own creation (again bad CEOs). That said other people had cope and succeeded in increasing the productively of a unit of land than cutting down every tree/shrub in search of place to grow crops. Equally man has occupied space in the air to give room to other land use needs. Please show me ‘A National Physical Planning Policy’ of The Gambia after 50 years of self-rule.

It came down to the basic resource management! Jawara was more interested in The Police Band of the then Field Force shine shoes and beat the drums as pleasantly as it can get for him to fly in and/or out of the country in style. Simply Jawara paraded ‘Mansa-yaa’. On the contrary he was supposed to be an accountable servant of the people of The Gambia. By the year of his overthrow Jawara has state lands at Yundum to his name and state animals - buffalos at the Yundum farm and colorful birds in the Banjul State House garden and even the run-ways from the old airport to fence his Barajally Rice Farm. Can he show prove he legitimately acquire those from the state of Gambia. Leadership is setting good examples - no wonder any Gambian hardly is morally wrong/religiously sinful to put national property to your name (rampant corruption). I wrote many times that Yahya is Jawara on STEROID - here you have some reasons why!

Consider if Jawara had put in place an accurate social data and based his decisions on what the data says. All of Gambia would not embark on the rural urban drift with the resultant compounding of poverty, increased in crimes, over-crowding but more importantly halting the rural development by killing Kerewan, Kuntaur, Kaur, etc that would otherwise be the spring boards for rural growth. Had Jawara did not equate flawed elections to democracy. Had Jawara separated party/politics from governance. Had Jawara separated authorities of the different arms of a democratic government. Had Jawara let the people govern their own affairs at the Regions/Districts/Villages with authority. We would probably never have  known Yahya but even if we do, he would already find a people living a life of democracy - such a people cannot be taken for a cheap ride by some delusional military officer and/or politicians. We would also have had capabilities to take care of such criminals against the state before they cause further harm.

It must be said Jawara administration did not build any tertiary educational institution(s). We had heavily relied on UK, Sierra Leone, Nigeria and oner nations to support produce the quality of human capacity needed to further the cause of our nation. The numbers (quantity wasn’t bad . Probably the quality wasn’t bad either but the applications and to some extent the relevancies were questionable in many cases. Learning Maths or Science anywhere can’t be wrong but we missed the key component of knowledge of who we are as people that home education could have guaranteed by making it a key requirement at least of undergraduate school (first degree). Due to scarcity the allocation (who gets/not get) a scholarship was not always based on merit but who you know. Instead of encouraging the educated men/women apply their know-how Jawara administration has forced/induced these group into political sycophants and cultivate a culture of political patronage  and propagandists of his ill governance in exchange for a government job and/or unchecked misappropriation of the public coffer. It has gone to a point were we sometimes blamed PPP but excluded Jawara - seriously! This culture sticks - you wonder why Yahya is cycling and recycling our learned men/women and they still run for his arm the next time he called them. In fact in The Gambia stealing from the public is not seen wrong to our morals/virtue, to the teachings of the main religions of Islam and/or Christianity. Its cherished!  On the other hand witness how they would jump on a ‘pick-pocketers’ - they’re sometimes beating to death/near death - without due process of the law.

 That culture has encouraged laziness and reluctancy to apply knowledge to improve conditions. For instance accounting and auditing of government books could have been improved from what the colonial administration left behind to reduce both corruption and human errors. The procurement could have been tightened up to reduce waste and fraud. Tax collection could have been fairer and verifiable had it is based on accounting income statement than lazily arbitrary imposing an imaginary fee/tax on certain incorporated businesses/enterprises.

This is a hallmark of Gambian society and currently permeate every level of our public and/or private dealings/transaction. For those of you in the diaspora simply try to account the numbers of you recent project (maybe a house, an upgrading or even the disbursement of daily fish money). Maybe one or more person is overseeing this project/program on your behave and maybe s/he is a close relatively. Maybe you have them on a standing alliance for this service. Yet in over half of the cases you will find misappropriation, collusion with outsiders to swindle you, etc. So is not just those working at government, hotels and/or some retail business - its a general social issue. These indecencies go long way in stopping us from being democratic. Remember democracy is neither periodic elections nor a fanciful government arrangement but a lifestyle of a people.

The events of July 22, 1994 took many ordinary Gambians by surprise; simply because to them Jawara was immortal.

Yahya and his criminal aiders both in the military and civil service were up to no good - “soldier with a difference”. Of the 19 years besides the hirings and firings, the arrests, tortures, jails/prisons, alleged killings and mysterious disappearances who are economically and socially well-off? Basic food items cost beyond the earnings of the average Gambia. Subsistence agriculture that fed most farm-families are abandoned because productivity are low and non existence of produce market. Essentially Gambians are surviving on the looting of public coffer and remittance from relatives in the diaspora. Suffice to say two goals of an average Gambian - be politically connected and/or get out. I hope we sooner create a fair and just Gambia because the diaspora may look flamboyant at a distance but far from it in reality. My first jobs when I arrive in the US was a Security Guard, Factory Laborer and Gas Station Attendance respectively that pay only minimum wages of $7 - $10/hour. It wouldn’t surprise many who knew me that I will decline any of these jobs in Banjul. Why? Probably had we so explicitly invested in the nation we would not have allowed few dummies to ransack us of our humanity, dignity and livelihood.

What Did We Do About It?

It’s hard to imagine one can do anything about a problem, when s/he is the problem and s/he did not even know s/he is the problem. That’s Gambia’s problem - a political vicious circle nobody seem to knowi the beginning and/or ending.

With the help of international pressure we cut into half the so-called military transition period from 4 to 2 years. This culminate with development of a so-called Republican Constitution which was tailored to fit Yahya. His crimes were indemnified, his age bracket was forcefully incorporated as one qualification of a presidential candidate, his decrees were adopted as election laws of the land, the desired presidential 2-term limit cut out and the presidency was given sweeping powers over every other branch of government. Over time the rubber stamping National Assembly continually changed the constitution to meet Yahya’s new egos and lusts for power. He can now hire and fire as low as village heads - what happened to democracy if we cannot determine who is our Kabilo or village head? The significanies of the powers afforded the president to control the very fabric of our society hence no amount of normal politicking can defeat an incumbent. That’s the social safety that that married us, buried us, christened us, recognized us and cultured us. The flawed Constitution and potentials to further butchered some us surprisingly support its passage at the referendum. Few years laters the same people brought up every argument why we or they can’t settle for a flawed Inter-Party NADD MoU. Which of these 2 documents are more consequential to our nation? Be the judge!

The people organized themselves into political parties to oppose Yahya. Our intents were/are good  but the methods flawed because we don’t seem to see the problem for what it is. Many equates some reasonably fair elections to democracy. Certainly election is an important democratic tool but is not democracy. We got stuck and every 5-years we argue on one  organization and/or another would defeat Yahya. Is not going to happen unless some concrete changes precede any such election. The problem is not the opposition personalities and/or the manner they’re organized - its something else. We do not need a political degree to figure why.

Outside the borders of Gambia we’ve became very active (few in relation to total population). There were significant developments in news generation and dissemination through established online outlets. The only concern here is how many back home are reached - both access and high illiteracy. This is important because we must bring more Gambians to our side of the equation and this can be more efficiently done through influencing which is easier and cheaper through information dissemination. A handful also expressed their views on the problems and the solutions - opinions. At least within that circle there is a rigorous debate what can work and what would not. unfortunately the debates are yet to produce ‘A National ActionAgenda’.

2013 was and eventful year! Yet the needle hasn't moved one direction or another. Probably the Raleigh Conference was the biggest - unfortunately nothing as a concrete Nation Action Plan has come out of it yet. The further we moved from it the less the enthusiasm of those involved. So many other actions such as demonstrations on Yahya’s motorcade route, the embassy siege, etc. took place but they were ad-hoc and small in scale to have any bearing on our goal. Towards the very end of the year the Opposition Parties organized a series of Rallies around the Kombo’s that some believed is the revitalization of our struggle. I hope it is! However whether coincident or planned Yahya’s courts started handing down heavy jail time to opposition figures on trial for seditious charges at about the time of these rallies. The question we ought to ask beyond the euphoria that such rallies generate - what’s the end game? What was the meeting intend to achieve? This is not to minimize our efforts but I also don’t think after 20 years we should do things and/or go along with the flow because it makes us just feel/look good. If Gambian opposition are serious about confronting ill-governance and lack of democracy in our land they have a more back room work at this stage than the  pomp and circumstance rallies. It’s the work in the back rooms that the rallies should carry to the public. I will stretch this back to the so-called G-6 Declaration on 2012 National Assembly Elections. What good to pen all such good points but failed to follow it up with concrete actions - what can a rally do?

What/How Should We Do To Get Us To Where We Want To Go - Democracy

Noticed that the problem was created long ago and compounded over time - maybe before you and I were born. It’s also important to account that although we might not directly cause the problem but we’re part of it and/or condoned it in one form/way or another along the way. Its a national problem! Its a social problem! Its a moral problem! Its a virtue problem! Its knowledge/know-how problem! Its economic problem! Its culture problem! It remained so simply because of who we are as a people of a nation.

Its bigger than Yahya. Equally the solutions are beyond the scope of any of the political parties and/or their leaders. Its the same problem when SM Dibba opposed Jawara except that is now magnified by the madnesses of Yahya.  Then we were all PPP because is more sexy and aligned with our personal interests in my ways.  Dibba was also accused for been tribalist yet he is the same tribe with Jawara. A nonsense I do not intend to belabor. As we are all part of the problem so too we will/should all be part of the solutions. This is not so say the 1.7 million estimated population will meet in Banjul or kanilai to decide what to do. It’s a question of organization of, by and for the people.

How do we organize such a national action will be an intense subject of debate. Goodness if our goal is to be effective/efficient in our demand for ‘A Democratic Republic of The Gambia’, we should be able to find solutions in fairly good time. The only criterion are ‘Our Purpose’ and ‘Capabilities’. Our urgent challenge is to bring all to one table. This is proving difficult because the intense squabbles of years has increased suspicions and the cost to assemble a core group at one place. The later is easy to solve because all of the preliminary phase could utilize technology. The finalization and declaration can be done by AA National Conference at a central location - I would assume we can always find a funding for such a week long (5-days) lunching.

The weekly (or whatever is convenient) online meetings will flush out noises and established our purposes and goals. Each goal will lead us into what action is needed. Each action will inform us what and how much resources are needed. Such a national plan at hand, knowing what we are up against for a determined time frame will also inform us the kind of vehicle and expertise needed. I would advise we stick to what our nation is founded on - ‘A Democratic Republic of The Gambia’. Anything that is making this happen in practice is what we’re for and anything otherwise we are against.   “Yahya must go and go first” makes good sound bites/slogan but its a none political starter unless we’re ready to forcefully attack him.

The Opposition Parties can lead these process. It will require significant adjustments/reorganization. Yet they are not required to abandon their individual/collective quest for the presidency. They will draw up A National Democracy Vision/Plan. From the vision they will produce an Activity Plan - what, where, when who and how.

If we can get the home based opposition to do this, we in the diaspora has to become the engine to supply the needed resources. We ought to become a chapter to their efforts. We take their estimates, draw program/project proposals, sell and supply them with the funds. The first test of our commitment to democracy will show in how we run/operate  these structures, policies/procedures, decision-making authority separations, accountabilities and feedbacks. These organizations/institutions will pay all full-time employees for their service, overheads and travel expenses. In addition we in the diaspora will/should shoulder many of the the international advocacy and lobbying work for cost effectiveness but also maximize across the board citizen participation.

The totality of these efforts will create/generate a political leverage that Yahya can’t resist for long. Over time we will win the trust of politically fatigue population; we will win their confidence and they will begin to relate the nation to their everyday living. This will mark the beginning of home grown leverage that can at some point vocally and/or by act of defiance resist unlawful/criminal actions of the government. The gradual dissolution of governmental grip of power will earn us chances to reform the constitution, election laws to be truly free and fair for the outcome to reflect the true wishes of an informed electorates. It will enable us capture, document and brought all undemocratic and illegal acts to courts. We can assess Yahya legitimate income and possible investment returns from his first pay to that day and lunch a legitimate international claim on the excess anywhere he may hide them. The same is true for all scrupulous public servants. Our demand for democracy and the dictators own actions will become our tools to convince the global political power brokers to frown upon him, to restrict budgetary supports and/or attached conditions, travel restrictions/bans and possible charges of human right violations at The Hague.

The implementation of such forward looking democratic nation is my next 10 year resolution. I gave it 10 years because is a deep rooted problem that sits in all of us. What’s your resolution? The removal of this decease out of every fiber of our making will be a painstaking task. It not about the next election and has never been besides our misunderstanding of the problem.

Or should we simply gave in- hopeless? Or should we be like Yahya who and many others blamed colonialism for our problems? Or should we lazily gave in as some suggest we ‘are blacks/Africans? So far I haven’t heard someone blamed Arabs Traders for bringing us Islam or Western Missionaries for Christianity. In addition no blaming of colonials/missionaries for western education! Have you ever thought of how our world would have been had we had no contact with the West. I don’t know the answer but an interest thought.

Join me in this campaign! Not for me but a nation you owe so much. Let this be one token of return you can give back!

Burama FL Jammeh

Founder/General Secretary
The People's Movement for Democratic Gambia
facebook.com/burama.jammeh
Twitter.com/@bfljammeh
Skype.com/bfljammeh
810 844 6040