GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hamadi Banna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 13:23:31 PDT
Folks,

I know most of us are still reeling from what has happened yesterday. The
anger has been pouring in from all corners.  This is the eleventh hour,
everyone has to be wary lest the thief comes and snatch away our conscience
while we're asleep.  Essentially, what I'm saying is that over the next few
days some people will be trying hard to turn the facts around and demonize
the victims, in this case the students.

The tone of some remarks quoted in the Gambian press is beginning to lay the
blame on the students, that they shouldn't have demonstrated in the way they
did, that it is every parent's responsibility to caution his/her child not
to be involved in such activities.  There we go, typical Gambian attitude in
such situations, "hey man bookuma deh", "ndaati jee" "mitawaa ka".  Then
when the walls come crumbling down over our heads we start looking at
eachother.

It is only dictatorial societies that ban demonstrations, that shoot and
kill innocent unarmed civilians and then turn around and blame the victims!

In Senegal student strikes are almost a rule and not the exception.  In the
countless hit and run battles with the feared "GMI", the "beret rouge", I
have never witnessed a single gun shot. Yet here, we are talking about
mature students, some with families, who wouldn't back off from the stare of
a police officer.  Never once, regardless of the stone throwing, tear gas,
and beatings on both sides have I heard a single gun shot for five years.

Again I believe that respect is mutual. A person only deserves respect if he
respects you.

The souls of the babies that died on the streets of Serekunda will haunt all
of us if we sit back and look.

Hamadi.