GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Ceesay, Soffie" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2007 11:25:10 -0400
Suntou & sister Jabou, greetings.  My intention was to forward a notice
of a job posting, to which qualified applicants can apply, nothing more.
Thanks for sharing your opinions.

The dignity of women in Islam is unassailable; the dignity of women in
our culture/tradition is without equal, yet...  I think you will agree
with me that the "correct understanding of islamic knowledge" or
"Islamic history never subjugating women ... " has not stopped the
oppression of women, which happens far too frequently in some Muslim
families in many muslim countries. Also, many recognized religious
leaders refuse to speak out against the subjugation and the indiginities
women in majority Islamic societies suffer regularly, or they themselves
engage in the dastardly deeds.  I would like to believe that No "level
headed muslim" will close their eyes to women's suffering which takes
place in their homes, communities, and countries, condoned, by their
silence, by the majority.

For this position, I hope the woman that fills it is honest,
knowledgeable and capable of critical engagement, regardless of what is
thrown her way, who can contribute toward eradicating ignorance, be it
religious or cultural/traditional and because Islam encourages Shura,
that she will facilitate consultation among muslims to recognize the
humanity in everyone, address the contradictions some of us live, purge
ignorance, and encourage education to better the lives of our women and
therefore, that of our families.

Thank you,
Soffie