GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 20:13:08 EST
Basil,

i heard a very good commentary on the radio today. The assessment was that
the results of the vote were more of a desire on the part of the people to
curb Mugabe's powers, and not actually a dissatisfaction with the plan to
seize land from White farmers.Infact, i think a majority oif Zimbabweans
would not be opposed to re-distribution of farm land that was more or less
illegally seized by these White farmers in days gone by.Prior to the vote,
people had clearly indicated that they wanted Mugabe's powers curbed and
thought they would get this, only to find later that this wwas not the case.
Their vote was to drive home the point that the people are not going to have
decisions made for them anymore. Mugabe has been advocating taking land from
the White farmers and re-distributing them for years, and a lot of the
Zimbabweans friend i have say that he has not delivered on this one.
Personally, i cannot see why the majority of Zimbabweans would be opposed to
that proposal. I spent many years in that part of Africa, and was in and out
of both Zimbabwe and South Africa, and saw the arrogance of those White
farmers, and how all the Africans were relegated to just farm hands.
Re-distribution would be justice, but they have to make sure that they
provide assistance in the form of trianing, etc to the prospective African
farmers so they can run these farms efficiently, and this will have to be an
unfolding process that has to be well planned.

Jabou Joh

n a message dated 2/16/00 10:49:33 AM Central Standard Time,