GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Sep 2005 14:39:06 +0000
" if PRESIDENT JAMMEH'S MONEY DONATION TO OUR SOCCER HEROS has anything to
do with their success,then so be it"

Being one of the baby scorpions more than 20 years ago, I agree they need
the encouragement and support to perform at their best.  However, that does
not justify Yaya stealing from our coffers to lavish it to whom ever he
pleases.  The funding of the baby scorpions should be with the approval of
the National Assembly through the budgetary appropriations process.

With the above quote, we should also not complain when Yaya funds his ZOO;
sends hundreds to Mecca; steals Crude Oil I and II in excess of half a
billion dollars; buys himself a jet; tens of fleets of cars; lavishing
millions of dollars; hiding our loans in secret bank accounts with Ebou
Jallow; giving his supporters in the US tens of thousands of dollars; and
the list goes on.  All this, while teachers salaries are stagnant for the
past decade; farmers crops are not bought; non existent electric supply;
sporadic water supply; marginal funding of our education system; poor health
care; crumbling infrastructure; a bankrupt state, etc.  And so, do Gambians
really care or understand the nature of the patron-client relationship they
are fostering with Yaya and the APRC?  I don't think we really care or
understand what we champion.  The average Gambian lives up country, is poor,
uneducated, and bears the brunt of the excesses of the state, and it is
their progress that the true condition of our people is measured, not mine
or the urbanner, even though the urbaners are just a blink apart from the
massive poverty and degradation.

If Yaya inherited his wealth, or patented a product to justify his
accumulation, this would not be an issue, for he earned it and can spend it
as he pleases.  However, he did not earn it with his less than $1,500 a
month salary.  Unless you know something that Gambians don't know, but Yaya
came to the scene poor and malnourished and could not even cure his mouth
sores (ratatoi).  With our coffers, he has done well for himself at the
expense of the nation and none that is honest can fail to see that.  How can
Yaya or anyone justify the wealth he is sitting on?  No one can even attempt
at that ridicule.  So, I really feel sorry for our state of mind, that
Africans would continue to turn the blind eye to their own ruination for God
knows what reasons.  Forget the countless folks that he murdered during the
past decade.

What obtains in our country today is Gambians have resigned themselves to
getting whatever from whom ever, and at any cost.  The pillar all lean on is
survival.  They know that what Yaya gives them is stolen but that is not
their interest.  What they care is getting something, anything.  But we all
know that the overwhelming masses are suffering and do not have access to
anything.

So, does the below quote still obtain?

" if PRESIDENT JAMMEH'S MONEY DONATION TO OUR SOCCER HEROS has anything to
do with their success,then so be it"

I support the baby Scorpions and they are an extension of my past, however,
that does not mean any endorsement of Yaya's looting our coffers and making
slaves out of us in the process.  What ever Gambia we support or create we
(all of us) are going to live in it whether directly or indirectly.  The
choice is ours.

Chi Jaama

Joe