GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Nov 2005 21:15:46 -0300
On 17 Oct 2005 at 22:43, Momodou S Sidibeh wrote:

> Comrade Kabir, Bamba Laye and All,
>
> It just seems to me that the issue of migrating Gambia-L to what may become its
> permanent home is a problem that can easily be solved technically. But I think
> we need to look at the question of hosting Gambia-L from a broader perspective.
>
> Yes, it is important to uphold and maintain the idea of archiving content on
> Gambia-l for many reasons, including but not limited to, historical
> documentation. Yet I want to insist that doing backups is simply not the reason
> why Gambia-l exists. The forum has become an important outlet for debate and
> information disemination, for exposing Gambian literature and culture; for
> creating autonomous political organisations. Driving campaigns to free politcal
> detainees, initiating fund raising exercises, direct participation in Gambian
> national concerns, are all important functions of Gambia-l. This list and all
> others have evolved into important vehicles for the struggle for democracy in
> our country, providing condutis for direct and indirect participation in the
> political life of our nation for hundreds, if not thousands, of Gambians and
> their friends, international institutions, and researchers all over the world. I
> want to believe that it is this perspective that should inform a future vision
> of Gambia-l:
>
> I think it should be hosted on Gambian soil by a fiercely independent but
> progressive body, perhaps set up by all of us. I think what we should be
> debating is how to do that eventually, even if we should agree to provide it
> with a temporary residence at GambiaTalk. My one dalasi opinion.
>
> Cheers,
> Momodou S Sidibeh.

Tooma,
The idea of hosting Gambia-l on Gambian soil would be more ideal and I am sure
current Gambia-l members could raise funds to purchase a mail server and
software for the University of The Gambia which could host multiple mailing
lists including Gambia-l had the situation been otherwise. However, we have to
be realistic that it would be a difficult task finding someone willing to
maintain or the authorities accepting such an independent service on back home.
The current atmosphere of mistrust and intolerance would simply be one of the
main obstacles.  Hosting Gambia-l on Gambian soil in my opinion would remain as
a dream at this moment.

I have seen some of the messages sent to List Owners mailing list of St. John's
University and I hope both Malanding and Sidibeh are following the events
there. An organisation "Information Center for Online Resources and Services"
(ICORS) has been formed by others to continue the service St. Johns University
has been providing for us.  Those interested to know about this organisation
can visit http://www.icors.net/

All hope is not lost for finding a new home for the Gambia-L because of the
offer by Bambalaye and now the establishment of the above organisation is also
another option. I have read some ideas and concerns about the future hosting of
the L here and I hope the Gambia-l management consider all proposals and come
up with some recommendations soon.

regards,
   http://home3.inet.tele.dk/mcamara
   http://www.gambia.dk

**"Start by doing what's necessary, then what's
 possible and suddenly you are doing the impossible"***

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい