GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Katim S. Touray" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 22:52:47 -0700
Hi folks,

Appended below is an article I sent last Sunday (Aug. 19) to the Editor of The
Independent Newspaper.  I have not still heard from them, and wonder whether they
have published it (if they received it at all).  I also noticed that the newspapers
pages on the Quantum Web site (http://www.qanet.gm) have not been updated since last
Monday (Aug. 20).  At any rate, I decided to send the article to Gambia-L because I
was going to post a copy of the article anyway, after it was published in the
newspaper, if at all it was.

I've tried to follow as much as I possibly can the many postings in reaction to the
lifting of Decree 89, and attempts at forging a coalition between the opposition
parties.  Thanks to all of you who have enriched the debate.  Please keep the
postings coming.

Also, I'd like to suggest that those of you that can and have the time should
seriously consider writing and offereing articles for Gambian newspapers.  I know a
lot of people read Gambia-L postings, but I think we still should try to reach out to
the Gambian newspaper and print media readership.  Besides writing newspaper articles
is a great excercise, and a rewarding experience, even if you do it for free!

May I also mention that I'd like to add to calls for restrain in our postings.  I
believe it was Daddy Sang who earlier today pointed out that there's really no need
to resort to insults and invective in our postings.  I totally agree.  Considering
that the English language has an estimated vocabulary of about 2 million words, I
suggest that anyone who cannot find firm but respectful words to state his or her
case should pardon us, and keep quiet. I'll let it go at that.

Have a great week(end) and best wishes.

Katim
--------------------  Start of forwarded article  -------------------------------

Be careful what you pray for
By Katim S. Touray
Madison, Wisconsin, USA
August 19, 2001

Recent political developments in The Gambia remind me of two sayings.  One:  "Be
careful what you pray for, you might get it."

There is no doubt that the repeal of Decree 89 last month was a most welcome and
positive development in The Gambia.  Decree 89 imposed a ban on the political
activities of Gambians involved the previous PPP government, and other parties that
existed before the military coup in 1994.  It was an illegal Decree, and has been
decried by people all over the world since it was promulgated.

It is against this background that when the Decree 89 was repealed, a lot of people
were jubilant that it would mark a new era in Gambian politics.  An era of
cooperation and collaboration between opposition political parties, and ultimately
leading to a coalition to contest the coming elections.  The jubilation, however, has
now been tainted with a lot of disappointment at the fact that the recently announced
coalition of opposition parties does not in fact include all opposition parties.

Having struggled, advocated, and yes, prayed all these years for the abrogation of
Decree 89 it is now evident that now that that's been achieved, there are deep
divisions within the Gambian opposition block.  Thus, while Mr. Ousainou Darboe has
been chosen as the leader of a coalition that includes his party (UDP), and members
of the previously-banned PPP and GPP, other opposition parties are sitting on the
sidelines.  In particular, PDOIS, NRP, and NCP all have expressed their reservations
about the coalition.  How unfortunate.

The whole affair reminds me of another saying: "If you fail to plan, you should plan
to fail."  Decree 89 was promulgated as far back as 1996 and as such, the opposition
parties have had a long time to plan what they would do after it was repealed.
Clearly, the opposition parties did not devote much time and effort in such planning,
and hence the failure to put together a solid coalition after the Decree was
repealed.

Last February, a number of Gambian opposition leaders, and then-banned politicians
such as Mr. Omar Jallow, former Minister of Agriculture in the erstwhile Jawara
government testified in an unprecedented briefing at the British House of Commons,
about the situation in The Gambia, and how the present government has been trampling
peoples' human rights.  That meeting generated a lot of excitement and hope that it
would serve as a spring board for the formation of a coalition to fight the excesses
of the APRC government, and ultimately contest the upcoming elections on a united
opposition platform.

As recent events have proven, the failure of opposition parties to plan their move
after the repeal of Decree 89 has resulted in the failure of the realization of the
dream many had of a united Gambian opposition.  The APRC government has an outrageous
record that any competent opponent would be able to capitalize on, and throw them out
of power. For this reason, the failure of the Gambian opposition parties to come
together to present a united front to The Gambian people is most unfortunate.

The bickering, backstabbing, finger-pointing and accusations that now dominate the
air is an insult to the aspirations of the Gambian people for a mature, dedicated,
unselfish, and visionary leadership.  Clearly, the only people that can benefit from
this situation is the APRC government, because every minute spent arguing could have
been used to drive home the terrible record of the APRC government: the killing of
demonstrating students, President Jammeh's crude oil deal, the continued and illegal
detention of political prisoners like Dumo Saho and others, the abuse of press
freedom and assaults on journalists, and on and on ...

The opposition parties are also failing to address issues important to ensuring free
and fair elections.  While they are busy with their infighting, nothing is being said
about laying the ground rules for the coming elections.  For example, as long as the
APRC is not banned from using government resources (e.g. vehicles, and petrol) to
wage their political campaign, there is no way the opposition parties united or
divided, will have enough resources to wage a credible campaign come the elections.
Opposition parties should also pressure the APRC government to ensure free and fair
access of all political parties to state-owned media, and further, that such media be
banned from engaging in partisan politics when they cover the elections.

To be sure, all hope is not yet lost, because PDOIS has sent a proposal to other
opposition parties, and Mr. S. M. Dibba, the NCP leader has stated publicly that he
is still interested in forming a coalition with other opposition parties.  Let's all
hope and pray that the present disarray in the opposition block won't last for long,
and that opposition leaders will soon come to their senses.  And let's pray even
harder that this time, our prayers, when answered, would not dissapoint us.