GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 22:44:40 EDT
Malanding,

I agree and I am also bewildered as to why the opposition parties did not
protest at the last minute changes to allow voters not on the list to vote,
especially in view of the record of Roberts. Please see what this email also
says.

Re: Break-down of VOTERS / Tombong
Date:   10/25/2001 11:35:03 AM Central Daylight Time

To: <A HREF="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</A>

Jabou,

Tombong will never come back to you with the rest of the information because
Darboe just came on BBC crying foul.  Interestingly, he cited the same
figures that the L used as example, the Niani Constituency. There was
clearly a 105% voter participation rate.  Too late though for Darboe to cry
foul. Although the reasons he gave for conceding the elections were
laudable, such gross manipulation of the registration process was good
enough a reason to boycott the elections.  In Senegal, when the Opposition
questioned the motive of Diouf for importing voters cards from Isreal and
threatened boycott, the PS withdrew. Either we go back to the voter cards
that we all trust or we will boycott, cried Wade and the rest of the
Opposition. The rest is history.