GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
panderry mbai <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 20 Dec 2005 01:32:44 +0000
          OPINION  A Letter of Appreciation  By Dr. Mamadi Corra

---------------------------------

December 19, 2005
Dear Friends:

As you know, my brother Alfusaine Cora died on Tuesday October 11, 2005, in Atlanta, Georgia in the United States. His body left Atlanta for our beloved country, The Gambia, on October 21, 2005 and arrived in Banjul on Sunday, October 23, 2005. Alfusaine was laid to rest late that afternoon.
   (INA LLELAH WAINA ELIAH RAGEEOUN. "We Are all to GOD and to God we shall return.").
   May his soul rest in perfect peace!
On Friday, November 18, 2005, family, relatives, friends, and loved ones came together again in the family home in Brikama for Alfusaine's 40 days prayer. I am sure you will join me in praying that God receives Alfusaine in his lovely Kingdom with his unbounded beneficence!

I write, however, not to inform anyone of Alfusaine's death; that is now well-known. Nor do I write to expound on Alfusaine's character and personality--who he was and what he stood for. Much has already been said of that character and personality that I shall not dwell on them here.

Instead, I write to express my sincere thanks and appreciation to the many of you, whose words of consolation, condolences, moral and/or financial support made this time of unparalleled grief for my family and I, a little more bearable. Most importantly, I write to assure you that your kind support was highly appreciated and, to be sure, God almighty will reward you in his most bountiful ways!

Invariably, a note of this kind must begin with recognition of the support of the numerous persons (friends of friends, acquaintances of acquaintances, loved ones of loved ones, neighbors of neighbors…); whose spontaneous expressions of support undoubtedly eased the weight of this period of untimely grief for my family and I. The congregation of such persons at the Kassama home in Atlanta (as well as the Corra home in Brikama) to offer condolences, words of consolation, moral and/or financial support was particularly uplifting. I cannot express how thankful and appreciative my family and I are to these individuals. Indeed, the anonymity of such persons (at least with respect to not being mentioned by name in this note) is born, not by an act of intentional omission on my part, but out of the fact that I barely know many by name and/or in person. Either way, please rest assured that your support did not go unnoticed and is highly appreciated. I thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Alfusaine's own long-term and/or closest friends deserve particular recognition and commendation. Their poignant expressions of grief and sadness of Alfusaine's sudden death have been especially moving.

Of Alfusaine's closest friends, Mr. Alagie Sonko, Mr. Muhammad (formerly, Osseh) Freeman, Mr. Lamin Demba, and Mr. Gibril Bah deserve particular commendation. I note a few of the actions of these four, hoping that the existence of the many will become evident:
   Mr. Gibril Bah was with us more than once at the funeral home in Atlanta; he in fact took an additional trip by himself to view Alfusaine's body and also contributed financially.
   Though far from Atlanta, Mr. Lamin Demba, Mr. Muhammad Freeman, and Mr. Alagie Sonko's repeated phone calls, their poignant expressions of sadness and grief during these phone calls, their words of consolation and financial support could not be timelier.
   Our thanks also go to Alagie Bayo for his own support.
Among Alfusaine's close friends, much is to be said of Alagie Sonko and actions a few weeks prior to Alfusaine's death and afterwards: As some of you know, about three months ago, Alagie came to Atlanta to attend Gibril Bah's wedding. While in Atlanta, Alagie visited and stayed with Alfusaine at his residence. It was Alagie's unwavering expression of his concern for his long-term friend's deteriorating health that pointedly alerted my sister and I to Alfusaine's worsening health condition. After Alfusaine's death, many of us also know that it was Alagie who was noticeably at the forefront of informing close friends of his death. Alagie was equally at the vanguard of coordinating the subsequent supportive efforts of such friends. My family and I cannot thank Alagie much. His actions demonstrated true friendship indeed!

Frequently, tragedy kindles, rekindles, or brings into sharp focus relationships that either didn't exist or were previously dormant. The relationship that has since developed between my cousin Amie, her husband and I can only be characterized as such. It is an under statement to assert that their actions of support to Alfusaine and our family (both prior to Alfusaine's death and afterwards) paralleled none. In light of that observation, I will repeat here a fact that I recently pointed out to Kitabu and Ami: Whereas I am a biological brother to Alfusaine, Kitabu and Ami have, at least in the past couple of years or so, been his social brother. Having lived with him in Atlanta for the last few years of his life, Amie and Kitabu had, perhaps by Divine providence, grown closer and closer to Alfusaine. They were his close confidante; their home became his main point of refuge from the nuances of contemporary life. Many of us know very little about the close friendship and familial
 relationship that kindled between the three. Yet, undoubtedly, we all know how the strength of that close bond came to manifest itself in the last days of Alfusaine's life and during the time of his funeral arrangements. As many have witnessed, Ami and Kitabu became the solid rock that many of us leaned on: There home became the center of congregation; they put aside their marital and work responsibilities, sacrificing much of their time and valuable resources…. I cannot thank these two much! As I sit here and contemplate the sequence of events leading to Alfusaine's death and funeral arrangements, I couldn't help but wonder how we became so lucky to have a wonderful in-law like Kitabu!

Similarly, Imam Bai Secka in Atlanta deserves special commendation. Upon hearing of Alfusaine's death, the Imam stood with the family at every step of the funeral arrangements. His work and vigilance were particularly pivotal in assuring that everything related to Alfusaine's funeral arrangements were done in accordance with Islamic mandates. Most importantly, Imam Bie did all of his work with a vigilance and enthusiasm that is hard to come by. As he mentioned to me once in this process, "I do my job only for the sake of Allah!" Undoubtedly, I am indeed a witness to that assertion coming to life in real terms. Imam Bai, I thank you much!

It has been said that bonds emanating from friendships can sometimes prove to be more substantive than those that develop from familial relationships. During this time of grief and untimely emergency, the actions of some of my own personal friends demonstrated the truism in that adage. Upon hearing of Alfusaine's death, the words of my friend, Ebrima Sankareh, remain a vivid reminder in that regard: "well," he said to me, "…I am here for you; let me know whatever I can do. Don't worry about my job or anything else…." This was on Tuesday night, October 11, as it was that night that Alfusaine died. Suffice it to say, Sankareh and I began making immediate arrangements to go to Atlanta the next morning: He drove to pick me up from my residence in Greenville, North Carolina, one hour thirty minutes from his own residence in Raleigh. I shall not burden you with the details of the extent of the trouble of spontaneously coming up with a plan of action; suffice it to say, it took the two of
 us the whole of Wednesday to get all things in place-getting a car to rent, putting our work responsibilities in order, etc. We drove all Wednesday night to get to Atlanta early Thursday morning and did not go to sleep until late Friday night. We drove back to North Carolina again Saturday night, only to return to Atlanta mid week to finish arrangements for Alfusaine's body to be flown to The Gambia. On each trip, Sankareh and I were, in effect, on the road for much of 48 hours continually back and forth to Atlanta and running errands from one location to another within the city. Words cannot express how thankful I am to Sankareh, and also to his family-his wife Binta Gaye, his mother Yah Mallah Sowe, and his child Mallah junior. Their unwavering support during this untimely difficulty was highly appreciated. Relatedly, I would be remised if I fail to express my sincere thanks and appreciation to Njie Bojang and her husband, Armadou Sowe, for accommodating the two of us during our
 visits to Atlanta. Similarly, I should like to express my sincere thanks and appreciation to Alieu Badra Cham for his valuable assistance in expediting the car rental process for us in Raleigh.

Furthermore, I am particularly thankful to my other personal friends:
   My friends in Atlanta, Basaikou Jabang, Ousman Corr, and Tijan Senghore, for being there for me all the way. I couldn't have gone through this in Atlanta without these three. Always true friends, they have proven yet again the true value of friendship. Basaikou was particularly helpful in keeping me abreast of developments in Atlanta prior to my arrival.
   Cathy Jarjue, whose actions in this time of unparalleled grief yet again continue to demonstrate true sisterhood indeed! As always, Cathy's support was exemplary! She has proven to be a solid rock to lean on!
   My friends, and long-time neighbors, Ousainou Demba and Alasana Demba cannot be thanked much! They were on top of things right after hearing of Alfusaine's death, offering words of consolation, moral and/or financial support. To be sure, no words can express how thankful I am to these two true friends.
   Mustapha Jawara of Raleigh for his moral and/or financial support.
   My own Auntie in Atlanta, Marian Manga, for her unique way of consolation.
   My friends here at East Carolina University, Don Wigent, Anthony Hayford, Sitawa Kimuna, Sunday Ajose, my roommates Berkant Kayan and Neval Bozer and my colleagues here at the Sociology Department. The contributions of these (in the form of words of solace, moral and/or financial…) deserve special commendation. I shall not burden you with the details of the actions of these; suffice it to say that they have proven, yet again, to be true friends and genuine colleagues.
   Hatab Sanyang and Azziz Senghore for helping in moving Alfusaine's items.
While not always so self-evident, a unique beauty of the African culture is that our conception of "family" is not restricted to the so-called "nuclear family" (a couple and their children). Indeed, our culture's notion of family is not even restricted to persons related to each other by blood, marriage, or adoption; nor is it limited to the so called "extended family" (brothers, aunts, uncles, grandmothers, grandfathers, cousins…). Family in our culture encompasses all of the foregoing and more: It includes the community-neighbors, friends, etc. I am happy to say that our culture's understanding of family clearly manifested itself to my family and I in this time of unparalleled tragedy. Our neighbors, friends, and loved ones have truly come through for us. Ansou Sonko, Ablie Sonko, Bakary Markaddy Bojang, and many others have truly shown familyhood in the African context. Both here and back home, these neighbors and community members have made this time of unparalleled family grief
 a little less stressful. Ansu Sonko, Ablie Sonko and Bakary Markaddy Bojang all personally sent their condolences to me, offered words of consolation, and/or financial support. I cannot thank them much! Our neighbors in Brikama (many of whom are back home and whose names do not appear here); you have truly been family, in all sense of the word.

Most notably, a long-term family friend (and a particularly personal confidant and mentor to Alfusaine), the Honorable Halifa Sallah, could not be thanked much. Mr. Sallah not only acted as a personal friend to Alfusaine during his lifetime; he was a mentor; a friend and confidant that was invariably counted upon in times of need. Indeed, space will not allow me to chronicle all of Halifa's supportive efforts to Alfusaine here; suffice it to say, they date way back in time. To be sure, Alfusaine had few friends (if any) whose support parallel Halifa's. For Sallah's support was, and continue to be, completely unconditional! Undoubtedly, my late brother will agree with me that, for him, a friend in Halifa was a friend indeed! For that, I thank Sallah much!

The out-pouring of support from relatives and friends of relatives across the globe has been quite refreshing. Relatives in the United States, whose collective efforts raised $1,800 (much of which went toward supporting the 40 days prayer activities in Brikama-the aforementioned amount was received close to that time) include: Karamo Danso; Momodou Dukureh; Omar Kora; Saja Kora; Solo Kora; Yaneneh Kora; BaFoday Signateh; N'dai Signateh; Fansu Kora; Maba Kora; Unfa Kora; M'ba Signateh; M'ba Toubabo Signateh; Sana Jatta; Amadou Kora; Musa Kora; Ba N'yima Sillah. I thank these individuals much! A special thanks to Maba Kora for coordinating the supportive efforts of these persons. Further thanks also goes to my cousin Unfa Corra for informing all of his friends in Atlanta (Musa Ceesay, Sidia Ceesay, Bie Secka, and others) and asking them to help in any way they could. In that regard, I thank these friends much for their support. Finally, I should like to express my sincere thanks to my
 cousin Old Pa Kora for his support in Atlanta.

Not withstanding, all of the foregoing is arguably expected. The help that is outlined above came from friends, loved ones, relatives, neighbors, etc. Persons from whom one ought to expect assistance in the time of need. Undoubtedly, that cannot be said about one organization (at least in my case). The Atlanta Gambian Emergency Relief Association (hereafter, AGERA) offered $1,000, a check they wrote directly to me. Again, I expect help from friends and loved ones; hence getting help from such persons is not particularly shocking. I could not have expected assistance of the magnitude from AGERA: I don't live in Atlanta; I have very little understanding and/or awareness of the organization and/or its mission; nor do I know the extent of my late brother's association (if any) with AGERA. Hence I was particularly surprised when their representatives, Basaikou Jabang and Habib Mbye brought the $1,000 check to deliver to me at the Kassama home (I understand that Mr. Ablie Njie was also
 scheduled to join them but didn't make it). Most notably, AGERA's financial support was particularly timely; it was received during the time of the funeral and flight arrangements in Atlanta and went toward that endeavor! If I am thankful of any help then, I am more thankful for the help from AGERA! If your mission is to offer Gambians in the time of need "relief," you have met and surpassed that mission in my case and I cannot thank you much. Basaikou, Habib, Ablie, please express my sincere thanks and appreciation to all members of AGERA! I wish there could be such an organization of Gambians everywhere. Thank you much!

As the foregoing suggests, the preeminence of friendship in a person's life is indeed a most valuable asset! It is indeed instructive to note that with friends/people, we have everything; without them, we have nothing!

As to Alfusaine's untimely death and the consequent sadness and grief to us all, the words of the Holy Quran are consolatory:

   Be sure We shall test you with something of fear and hunger, some loss in goods or lives or the fruits (of your toil), but give glad tidings to those who patiently persevere.
   Who say, when afflicted with calamity: "To Allah we belong, and to Him is our return"
   They are those on whom (descend) blessings from their Lord, and Mercy, and they are the ones that receive guidance.
   (The second chapter of the Holy Quran (Surat Albakarah) verses 155, 156 and 157, respectively).

  Go To Top
    Copyright © 2004 AllGambian.Net. All Rights Reserved.