GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 12:00:47 EDT
In a message dated 8/16/2002 3:31:20 PM , [log in to unmask] writes:

> Uncle Habib
>
> If this is the situation, then surely Waa Juwara's
> credibility is at stake

__%%%%

Yep, it would appear that the whole party and not just one person can be held
equally responsible, and Waa Juwara's strategy then was not well thought out.
 I think some of the comments already made regarding flexibility within
political parties and the need to not have people within the party see
themselves as the only possible leaders within a party goes a long.

However, one has to start from a vantage point where people forming a
political party are motivated by higher ideals, a desire to serve country and
the people being the sole reason such that if it is seen that the party is
deviating from this principle, what is necessary to focus on the goals are
quickly done even if it means changing the leadership within the party;
because service  is the main purpose, and not the elevation and worship of
any single personality. Unfortunately, In Africa, we have been and continue
to be plagued with politicians whose desire to be "head huncho" seems to
superceed all else. it is also the same reason that most African leaders
think they are monarchies and want to hang on to powwr forever.

When we form political parties or enter the political scene because we care
and want to do the right thing for the people and the nation as a whole, and
not for selfish reasons and personal agrandizement, only then will we be able
to do what it takes to move us forward, that is, focus on the challenges
facing our people and how we can   resolve them successfully, and this will
in turn cause us to put our egos aside in putting together effective
political organizations that do not self destruct eventually.

Jabou Joh