GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebou Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 19:18:11 -0700
Yus,

I see the road we are heading, and I believe it is unnecessary to
talk rough off the cuff.  We can argue issues without feeding frenzy
nor making elusive statements to evoke subliminal cynicism. On that
note I choose to ignore some of your comments.

However, I would just contend to dismiss some major distortions you
made on my account.  I never imply in any way that Jammeh/ or the
AFPRC should be absolved of any alleged crimes .  I am glad that you
perhaps have documented  all the material evidence to satisfy justice
INSHALLAH.   I do not know about Jammeh (and I am quite sure that he
will be ready for his own defense too), but I can assure you that I
am ready for a showdown anywhere anytime- just give me the assurance
that I will not be subjected to some mob justice or a kangaroo court
in some banana republic.  Till then let us focus on some pressing
issues of the day and ignore the trivia.

Also I do not understand how you came up with my calling Jammeh an
"international enigma".  I want to believe that it is a rhetorical
ploy on your part to establish some cogency.  Yes I call him an
enigmatic political force in the Gambia, and the last elections
results does give empirical weight to my claim.  It will be gross
intellectual dishonesty to claim otherwise.  Tell me, wouldn't you
concede  that a "local" from Foni, not so well "educated" whatsoever
that means, an Army Lieutenant that toppled a 30 year old
Mansa-kunda, hire/fire some "untouchable Brahmins", humbled the
haughty-proud-arrogant, and decisively defeats the most pronounced,
concerted opposition in the history of the Gambia deserves the
attributes such as mystifying, perplexing or ENIGMATIC for lack of a
better apt adjective! I am not connoting any regality here mind you
but describing a shocking political phenomenon.

Till later my good friend.

Ebou Jallow
Georgetown University, WASH DC