GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 17:05:05 EDT
Sulayman, thank you very much for your rendition of  the events of April 10
and 11 and your astute observations about the workings of that toothless
commission of inquiry. It is refreshing to hear these facts directly from
someone that does not fear for his life like some people are back home. We
have been following some of the revelations from participants in the
coroner's inquest and the commission. I hope you will be able to provide us
with more information about who actually pulled a trigger. The trend I seem
to detect from most accounts is that people always talk about victims they
saw AFTER the victims have been shot. To your knowledge is there anyone that
is prepared to testify that he/she recognized a particular trigger-man? I
might have missed such testimony in the commission. So please, any
information in this regard will be highly appreciated. Can you also tell us
about meetings that went on within the student community regarding the
demonstration before it took place? We want to establish once and for all
that the students acted on their own volition when they came out to
demonstrate against the brutal regime that sanctioned the murder and the
rape of their colleagues. Did you know what transpired between the students
and the authorities when the former were trying to get a permit for the
demonstration? Did I read your piece properly when you said that children
had already died even before the police station in Serrekunda was attacked?
If so, it takes care of the preposterous idea that criminal elements were
released from Serrekunda Police station by the students to go kill the
students. We await your response to some of these issues. Identifying a
trigger-man is very essential. That is a good starting point that will
eventually lead us to Yaya, who undoubtedly ordered the shooting. We have to
help in our own little ways to show the whole world how brutal this regime
is. They have the callousness to gun down unarmed and innocent children in
broad daylight, yet have the cowardice to deny it. My brother, welcome to
the G-L.
KB

Ps: on a lighter note. This University Yaya and his cronies boast about,
what does it entail? Did they amalgamate already existing institutions like
MDI, GTTI and Yundum College or did they build a brand new gigantic campus?