GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Dec 2003 23:03:32 +0000
Folks, this is yet another opportunity for Gambians to demand answers from
Yaya regarding the over $500 million of oil products diverted into his
pocket.  Gambians know about this theft, right?  Then, why the hell are we
not going out in the streets with pots and spoons and create noise until we
get answers?  The Gambian people have been ripped off twice.  First, he
pocketed the sale of both crude oil I and II, then he turn around and have
the nerve to increase the price of gas, and we go on with our complaints in
our kitchens and bedrooms and soon to end up in our bathrooms with water
running to drown our whisper.  We ain't seen nothing yet.  There are a lot
of fees to be jacked up and don't worry about beating this scheme, they are
either in effect as I write or your early efforts will be willfully ignored
just to be hit with the big one.  You by now know the skim about salary
increases for 2004.  The average worker may get an increase of say, D2,000 a
year only to be hit by an D8,000 levy in the form of higher fees for no
service provided and continuous price increases of various forms.  Sounds
like standing still and taking three steps backwards.  They are going to hit
the wholesaler who in turn pass it to the retailer who in turn pass the
burden on you the consumer.  That is, if the wholesaler even bothers to
order goods.  Folks, this is grand theft and unacceptable.  Please read on.

Petrol Price Increases Again!

The Independent (Banjul)

PRESS RELEASE
December 22, 2003
Posted to the web December 22, 2003

Banjul

The Gambia Government has decided with immediate effect to increase the
price of petrol from D19 to D22 per litre.

We reproduce hereunder a press release from the Department of State for
Finance and Economic Affairs, which points out that despite the increase in
pump prices in February this year, "The Gambia has received no respite".

"The public is hereby informed that Government has been subsidizing certain
petroleum products, despite the pump price adjustment of PMS, AGO and KERO
undertaken in February this year.

Despite the increase in pump prices, The Gambia has received no respite.

Indeed since that adjustment almost eight months ago, developments have
adversely affected revenue collections, which in turn has affected the
resources available to the government for poverty alleviation and other
vital expenditure of the sectors.

There is also the prospect that given the continued volatile situation in
the Middle East and the sub-region, and likely tightening of the supplies,
and since the exchange rate has still not reached the level prevailing at
the beginning of the year, the government will have to continue to subsidise
petroleum products in the foreseeable future.

The government has however, not been unmindful of the impact of a rise in
the pump price of AGO and KERO on trade, transport and the cost of living of
the less fortunate, and vulnerable sections of the community.

Accordingly, the government has decided to adjust with immediate effect,
only the pump price for PMS from D19 to D22 per litre, while leaving the
pump prices of AGO and KERO unchanged.

Relevant Links

West Africa
Gambia
Petroleum

While not eliminating subsidies on petroleum products completely, this price
adjustment will go some way towards improving the resource availability of
government. The government of The Gambia will continue to monitor closely
price exchange rate movements."

Signed MOD A. K. SECKA For Permanent Secretary

Have fun customizing MSN Messenger — learn how here!
http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/reach_customize