GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mr Makaveli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 21:52:44 -0500
Mr Sallah,

Knowing that time may not allow you to respond to every issue,I nonetheless
would like to cease a moment or two from your busy work load and see if you
could elaborate your views on issues of concern to me and am sure to many
Gambians..

1. Mr Sallah we all know that these days are the days of  Dear God for most
Gambians and so my first question to you is when is enough just NOT enough?

[Begin Comment]
As ambiguous this question may be I still would value your response to it
because I sense that Gambians are getting sick and tired of being sick and
tired and maybe opposition parties haven't heard us loud enough.
[end Comment]

2. Mr Sallah it is believed that the path to Heaven is paved my good
intentions, and though I see you as man with lots of good intentions for
the people of the Gambia, has it ever occurred to you that maybe your
strategies are too modest to remedy the magnitude of barbarism represented
by the callous APRC? Suppose your plan A doesn't work, what is your plan B,
or other alternatives if you will?

3. Mr Sallah , we have sent petitions after petitions, we've received
acknowledgement of concern from the US President Bill Clinton, US
Congressman John Lewis, Mayor Bill Campbell of Atlanta, UN Kofi Annan ,
just to name a few, all of them troubled by the human rights violations
that is so prevalent in the Gambia, and note that these initiatives came
from concern Gambians here on the L and beyond, thus making me wonder if
you opposition leaders are really capable of taking us to the next level.
So far Jammeh is still at large and therefore my question is what is your
assessment over these mediation tactics and what in your humble opinion,
is the ultimate solution to these besetting dilemma?

5. Mr Sallah, for some of us who really have lost hope in peaceful
negotiations and having a fair election,what reassurance can you instill in
our oppressive minds ? Please do not take this as an opportunity to recruit
PDOIS fanatics ,however, your comments are worthy of our time, Sir.

6. Mr Sallah, what exactly is working so well for PDOIS that makes you
believe you have the potential to lash out the opposition at the ballot
boxes? Where is PDOIS' rank in the polls today? Why not simply form a
unified party among others in the opposition against APRC and ensure
voter confidence and a subsequent victory for all in the struggle?

7. Mr Sallah, in very simple term, do you think Yahya will lose this
election or do you believe like the rest of us that he should be taken
out by force? Yes/ No and Why?

8. Mr Sallah, the events of the tragic death of the student demontrators,
the death of Ebrima Barry, the alleged rape of the young school girl, the
abduction of Dumo and others,the murders of Koro Ceesay & Co. and  the
recent attack on Radio FM,to name a few are all master-minded by this
despotic regime. Could you possibly tell me if any form of justice has
yet been served on any of these cases? No one from my knowledge have
been held accountable for thse heinous crimes yet the Govt. assured no
stones will be left unturned. 'Same Yahya Jammeh = Same Judicial System'
per se?

9. Mr Sallah , even as I mention before that the debate between you and
Hamjatta was to me very intellectually enticing, what if any do you think
would come out of the debate that will help us remove Yahya out of office?
Are you still pursuing the challenge/debate or are you presently more
concerned about issues of higher priorities since the elections are almost
here?

10.Mr Sallah, Does the fact that not you, but Sidia Jatta running for the
presidency, sort of limited your zeal to find aggresive and feasible means
to do everything necessarily to make sure Yahya didn't last this long or
is it simply PDOIS' philosophy of it's up to the people to lead themselves?
Enlighten me, Sir.

                                                       A Concern Gambian,
                                                       Mr Makaveli.

PS: I am not a member of any opposition party yet and I am working on that
decision very soon. I am definitely against anything APRC and maybe Mr
Sallah will have my support based on answers to my questions. Note that I
have a tremendous respect for Mr Sallah and I think he should be commended
for what he stands and what he has been doing, no matter how insignicant
that difference may be. I await anxiously to be enlightened.