GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 09:27:51 -0400
Janneh, with all due respect, I think you are missing the point again. You
do NOT need to bring Jawara down in order to ‘look [up] to Darbo, Bah,
Sallah/Jatta’. Emphasis mine. Why can’t we say positive things about all of
them? I do NOT see anybody of significance (including the Decree 89
politicians themselves) saying that they want to bring back the old order.
What people are talking about, is forming an alliance where our current
leaders will solicit the support of Decree 89 politicians in order to defeat
Yaya. Many subscribers have already shown how unrealistic it is for these
former politicians to run in the October Elections. I would have thought
that by now at least people with your wherewithal and profundity would
realize that the only logical course for these Decree 89 politicians is to
join the Opposition and support the presidential candidate to be fielded by
the current Opposition (hopefully from the pool you mentioned in your
heading).

Now, how are we going to solicit the support of these people if we start
attacking them as if we are AFPRC/APRC operatives? Belittling Jawara’s
accomplishments during his reign only helps the bandits ruling us justify
why they took over in the first place. Like I said before, if the issue is
about a Jawara postmortem rather than a Yaya postmortem or the future of our
country, we can happily defend the Jawara record. It is a very defensible
record. But some of us have prioritized. We believe it is more urgent to
deal with Yaya and the future of our country rather than looking back. All
the more reason why Jawara should be encouraged to come and defend himself
so that people like Darbo, Bah, Sallah/Jatta would NOT have to engage APRC
when the latter want to attack the Jawara record in order to justify their
illegal take over.

Yaya’s repressive regime has NOT blinded those of us defending the PPP
record. Defending that record is different from saying that we should remove
Yaya and return to the old status quo. We are defending that record in order
to show that there was NO NEED for a coup. We do NOT need Yaya. That message
is very compatible with a message to install a leader from the pool you
mentioned. Some in the Opposition need to get over this syndrome of ‘we hate
Jawara more’ and move on. Give the man a break. Now is the time to put aside
old differences (that we CANNOT settle now) and unite for the common good.

I reiterate: putting down Jawara does NOT give more power to Darbo, Bah or
Sallah/Jatta. Putting down Jawara only helps the bandits running our
country.
KB