GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 07:18:01 EDT
Madiba,

They are a propaganda tool for the regime, and all of them will be sent up
the creek if they actually acted like the reporters that they should be. The
head of GRTS is always the one sent to the list to explain the unexplainable
everytime they commit one of their atrocities, so I expected exactly this.
Perhaps they were trying to pacify the people so they will get their minds
off the dead bodies of their children littering the death houses all over the
country.

Jabou Joh

 Culled from the voiceout homepage: come.to/voiceout/

 " I would like to comment on GRTS' coverage of the situation yesterday,
 while parents are sitting at home worried about their children who the
 army and paramilitary have refused to let them see or talk to - our
 "beloved" TV station was showing music videos and stupid
 documentaries!!!!. Where were the reporters and cameramen who should have
 been doing their jobs even if they had to do so with an armed convoy.  The
 report by Fatou Dibba was so biased and one-sided I am surprised she
 didn't come out at point blank and accuse the students of starting the
 whole violence.
 How comne GRTS cameras didn't film the violence at Brikama, or show the
 whole entire nation detailed shots of the aftermath at hospitals, police
 stations, army barracks, paramilitary headquaters etc, instead we saw
 brief pictures during the 8pm news and that was it - then they started
 playing music and showing documentaries like nothing was wrong  - Is that
 responsible journalism?.
 How come there wasn't atleast panel discussions about what happened or
 interviews with citizens about the day's events or even readings from the
 Koran or Bible to reflect the sombre mood that everyone was in - I believe
 showing music clips was blatant disregard and irresponsible of the
 managers, producers and reporters at GRTS.
 The children should have smashed the eqipment at your stationa atleast
 that would have given you the excuse not to show us the nonsense you
 showed yesterday."