GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Abdoulaye Saine <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 10 Jul 1999 18:28:02 -0400
Dear Yeks:
Thanks for bringing to our attention the works of Mr. Papa Jeng.  I had
the distinct pleasure of meeting Mr. Jeng and being introduced to his
work at a conference organized by the Gambian Women Association over the
July 4th holidays in Atlanta. He was very impressive and spoke
passionately about the challenges faced by Gambians in Sweden.
I purchased all of the five titles you listed and plan to read them.

I should also add that the conference organized by The Gambian Women
Association was very successful in identifying problems of Gambians
abroad and in Gambia. Solutions were formulated to address
transportation problems for school children in Gambia, in particular.
Strategies were also formulated to strengthen the organization in order
for it to address the challenges of Gambians in Atlanta, the USA and in
Gambia. Accordingly, it was emphasised that Gambians abroad have
imprtant roles to play. The leadership and in particular, Ms. Kura Njai
and Fatou Njai appealed for greater support from the men, and lamented
the relatively low turn out at the conference, especially when compared
to the several parties held during the July 4th festivities. It was not
the numbers that mattered however, but the interest shown by about 40
participants, they noted.

To the organizers of the July 4th Gambia Reunion, I should also say that
I enjoyed the soccer march between Gambia and Senegal and the picnic. I
heard good things about the parties, but because they tended to start a
little late (for me), I could not attend. I met some members of Gambia-L
and other friends from home. In all, it was a productive and a fun time.
Thanks!

Abdoulaye
No justice, no peace!