GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 28 Sep 2003 19:40:44 +0200
(Kampala)

September 26, 2003
Posted to the web September 26, 2003

Josephine Maseruka
Kampala

KAMPALA Archbishop Emmanuel Cardinal Wamala has opposed the Cabinet proposal to lift the presidential two-term limit, saying it would breed dictatorship.

He said, "Including such a proposal in the Constitution is very dangerous because it stifles leadership and breeds dictators. If the country fought dictators like Idi Amin, how can we support such a proposal?"

"May be other Ugandans are comfortable with it. As Wamala, I'll never support such a proposal," he said.

Wamala was yesterday addressing a press conference at his residence in Kampala to deliver the Pope's message to Ugandans. Wamala and Uganda bishops have just ended a 10-day visit to Rome.

On Monday the Cabinet presented its views to the Constitutional Review Commission, calling for the removal of the two five-year term terms for a president.

Wamala was prompted to comment on the subject by journalists who pressed for his view on the matter.

Present were Dr. Fr. Obunga, the secretary general of the Uganda Episcopal Conference, Bro. Rogers Kazibwe, the executive secretary in charge of the social communications commission and Fr. Gerald Zzinde, Wamala's private secretary.

The Cardinal, however, said he was neither giving the views of the Catholic Church nor those of Uganda Catholic bishops but his "as Wamala".

He, however, added that the Cabinet, like any organisation, individual or institution, was free to hand in views to the commission.

Wamala said the Pope condemned the bloodshed and destruction in the 17-year-long war in northern Uganda and made an ardent appeal to all parties to commit themselves to building a nation of hope, justice and peace.

In a recent statement, Catholic bishops in Uganda urged the United Nations and other international agencies to consider Uganda a special case for their immediate intervention.

"Our nation is crying out for healing and a renewed sense of leadership. Exclusive reliance on the use of armed forces is not the answer, and has failed, to the long suffering of our land.

"Our neighbouring countries have been wise to invite the aid of objective mediators in their search for justice that accommodates all," the bishops said.

They condemned the barbaric acts of LRA rebels.