GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Katim S. Touray" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2001 15:46:09 -0700
Hi folks,

I promised a few days ago to send you information about my getting off as a
Gambia-L manager.  The following is from an e-mail I sent to Momodou Camara, and
I hope it provides detail about my attitude to managing Gambia-L.  For your
information the Kary mentioned in my e-mail refers to Paul Karagianis, who is
responsible for running the St. Johns University list server, which runs
Gambia-L.  Also, please note that the lines starting with >> are qouted from Mr.
Camara's original e-mail, and those starting with > are quoted from my reply,
which I'm forwarding.

With regards the management of Gambia-L, I've had nothing to do with it since I
had Momodou Camara remove my e-mail address from the list of Gambia-L managers.
Furthermore, as indicated in the e-mail below, I have continued confidence in
the work Mr. Camara is doing providing an invaluable service to us all.  I would
urge all of you to lend him any and all support you can to see the continued
growth and usefulness of Gambia-L.

I would like to take this opportunity to comment on the recent exchanges on the
list.  It's really unfortunate that many people bit the baits sent to the list
to distract them from important issues.  It does not take a rocket scientist to
figure out that everytime something important comes up, we are confronted with
unproductive shouting matches and name-calling that does nothing but sows
discord, and divides us all.  The latest example of this is the Jerreh Jarju
thing that's got a lot of people worked up for nothing.  The fact of the matter
is that no one can vouch for anyone's identity on this list.  Afterall, this
e-mail you are reading from me is nothing but, as I've seen someone put it,
"100% recycled electrons."

Let's remember that we can only deal with each other on this list on the basis
of names that may or may not be real.  That's just the nature of the beast.  For
this reason, who cares if this or that person uses this or that name.  And by
the way, it seems to me that many of these President Jammeh supporters use their
Netnames to say things they otherwise would not dare say.  Furthermore, it is
ironic that them that support those with the guns and the power are the ones
that have to hide behind the anonymity provided by the Internet.

The only thing that would worry me, and I've said this before, is what we had
sometime back when George Sarr impersonated Tombong Saidy, and posted a message
in Mr. Saidy's name.  That's a totally different and terrible ball game, and
would be of concern to me.  But other than that, I really don't care if
President Jammeh or anyone decides to have multiple personalities.  I would
judge them on the basis of what they say on the list, and not get drawn into
unproductive arguments.  And I would like to remind all of a saying:  "Never
argue with a fool; people might not notice the difference."

Have a great Easter, and best wishes.

Katim