GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mr Makaveli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 11:53:56 -0600
 Points well noted Matarr. I couldn't but agree with you. It's time to  make
change in the Gambia. It's quite obvious that many people are really fed up
with our past and present lousy,pathetic,self-made presidents yet all most
of us do is just complain about it. Well, We sure can learn from our good
neighbor Senegal. Shouldn't we?

It's unquestionable that the power lies in the hands of the people but
if we don't act on it, the power that lies within all of us would be taken
for granted by the likes of Jemus Jammeh. That's their secret weapon, the
fact the they believe we would not challenge their abusive power for fear
of retaliation.

The opposition definitely can't do a damn thing without a collective effort
to end the demons of the present establishment. I personally question their
credibility to some extent but I'm convinced they stand a better chance in
addressing the peoples' needs than the current selfish morons. However, the
opposition needs to broaden it's audience and as suggested by many on this
mailling list, they should have been already participating on some form of
mailling list,forums, chatrooms and the like and to say that they don't own
a "freaking" PC is the sorriest excuse one could expect from a supposedly
promising  establishment. Having a website without a PC is  as pathetic as
sittting on the dining table with no food to eat. I mean come on!

If the opposition want to be competitive and be taken seriously, I suggest
they prey on every single avenue to increase voter confidence. So far no
one seem to be looking at the possibility of gambians living abroad to be
able to cast vote. Jemus Jammeh thought it is too expensive a venture when
asked about it during his visit to New York while his entourage were easily
averaging $3000 per day on living expenses. Of course it is in his interest
not to make this happen. Not many Gambians abroad would vote for him, so
why bother. Sometimes we have to admit that the guy is stupid afterall.

                                                         CHEERS.
                                                         George Sarr

Hello Fellow Gambians
>  As we join in the celebration of democracy for Senegal, We should
>take time and examine the instruments that lead to the success of the
>opposition alliance and see if the same mechanisms can work for us.
>     First, we must focus on voter turnout and voter registration. Every
>Gambian that is of voting age should be able to vote regardless of
>demographics.
>We must collectively pressure the electoral committee to identify key voting
>venues for
>the upcoming elections.
>      We must be able to exercise our rights to vote.
>Wade is not the winner of this election. The Senegalese people won. They
>realized
>that the opposition has to become one body to fight the enemy. It was a
>collective struggle with Wade as the Captain.
>       If Gambians are frustrated with the Jammeh Government and its corrupt
>practices, countless human rights abuses, the abuse of power and
>misappropriation of government funds, then the people must come together and
>send him the same message Senegal sent to Diop.
>       Power belongs to the people, is controlled by the people and must
>benefit the people. We have less than a year to form an alliance for
>democracy.
>Lets engage our leaders in dialogue to form a single opposition and fight
>injustice.
>       "Success is not free neither is failure" Win or lose we still have
>consequences to deal with.
>Our country is deserving of better leadership. Lets begin now by contributing
>our human, physical and financial resources to this endeavor. We have held
>Halifa to the rigor of political patriotism, now this is our time to put
>ourselves through the same rigor.
>          We must alert both western and regional media by appealing for
>transparency during the process and work on
>voter fraud. The only thing to fear is fear itself.  We must change the
>system.
>          Are we ready? Are we far away from democracy? May be we are too
>afraid to change?
>I believed someone stated on this forum that "the beast you know is better
>than the one you don't know" is this
>characteristics of us Gambians?  Because if it is then fear not the beast you
>don't know for it can lead you or of mayhem. This paradigm has been solved by
>the people of Senegal.
>         Thank you.
>Keep pressing on.. Power lies in the hands of the people
>Matarr Sajaw.

Gambiansonline ..Design With The Gambian People In Mind.
To join our Mailling List goto  http://www.gambiansonline.com
Don't forget to join our Chatrooms.