GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ebrima ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 11:05:56 PST
"Ebou Colley", (writing in a hurry)

I have more questions for you, so here they go: As far as you knew, did Sana
Sabally and Captain Sadibou Haidara attempt to seize power from Jammeh in
January 1995, or were they framed? By the way, could you tell us how the
five members of the then Armed Forces Provisional Ruling Military Council,
led by Jammeh, met to plan the coup?

Is it true that the coup was, in actual fact, the brain-child of Sana
Sabally and Edward Singhatey? Of course, it was Jammeh who led the coup, but
is it true that he was invited to lead the take over by Singhatey and
Sabally who reportedly came up with the idea?

At what stage did you join them? Tell us more about your own role in the
whole saga. Having said that, what information do you have on the November
11, 1994 alleged coup plot? I think you were still in detention at the time
of November 11 alleged coup plot, but what do you know in terms of the
correct/exact figure for the number of deaths?

Also, there were reports that some of the security detainees, including
yourself, were allegedly tortured by Jammeh's thugs at the time you were
detained at the mile 2 prisons. So were these reports true?

This then brings me to Captain Sadibou Haidara's death in detention and that
of Yaya Drammeh, one of those alleged "rebels" who attacked the Farafenni
military barracks in 1996. Now given that both Haidara and Yaya Drammeh died
in Prison, do you know whether they were killed, or did they die naturally?

What about the late Ousman Koro Ceesay, a former Finance Minister under
Jammeh? Do you suspect foul play, or what? Furthermore, do you have a
conservative figure/number for those soldiers killed in the Gambia since Mr
Jammeh came to power?

This one is more of a personal question: do you know the whereabout of
Captain Marong, the one who speaks French, and whose background is in law?

Is he reinstated in the government/army, or has he been retired prematurely?
Also, do you have any information on Jammeh's financial dealings since the
coup? Do you know why the portfolios of Fisheries and the other one which,
as I write this piece, escapes my mind, were taken away from Captain Edward
Singhatey?

In your view, does a small country like the Gambia needs an army or not?

By the way, I have my opinion on this one, but why do you think the coup
succeeded? Can you also explain why five junior lieutenants succeeded in
arresting all their seniors and then detained them as "security detainees"
at the mile 2 prison, during and long after the coup?

In your last posting to the L, you told us your opinion of Mr Jammeh, but
what about Edward Singhatey, Lamin Bajo and Yankuba Touray? Also, a number
of allegations have been levelled against Baba Jobe, formerly of the 22 July
Movement, but what do you know, as a fact, regarding these allegations?

Is it true that he was always armed with a pistol even though he was not in
the army?

Anyway, "Ebou Colley", I have to go now, but expect more questions from me,
as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Ebrima Ceesay
Birmingham, UK.

PS: Gambia L, I must say that I personally have got answers to most (not
all) of these questions raised, but I believe "Ebou Colley's" perspective on
these matters is imperative, since he was an insider.