GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yusupha Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 10:04:35 EST
Unfortunately, there seems to be a lot of misconceptions about mental
illness.  Jamba is a social problem and not a prerequisite cause for mental
illness.  I believe people with ilnessess like schizophrenia, manic
depression and multiple personalities were always viewed as mad in The
Gambia.  These illnesses are easily treatable if the appropriate drugs  and
care are made available to those in need of treatment.  Therefore, the goal
should be to educate the public about these issues as well as making the
appropriate drugs available to the aflflicted.  Campama is a dreadful place
and hopefully the efforts of Tejan Nyang and Karim will spur someone to make
the institution more humane.

In no way am I defending the "dreadful" plant that God somehow put on Earth
for us to make use of.   I just wanted to put things in perspective.