GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sidi Sanneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Aug 2001 10:05:18 -0500
Sheikh, I beleive I expressed on this forum my admiration for you, and your
role in keeping the tourism sector alive under the most difficult of
circumstances. I would like to reiterate the same sentiments again and
extend the same to Aunty Fama, Batch Fye, Sammy Mboge, Taf, Charbell and
all the others local entrepreneurs. Along the erosion zone alone, there are
21 hotels and 56 restaurants and bars which provide direct employment to an
estimated 3,300 persons.  Most of these hotels, restaurants and bars are
facing serious beach erosion problems, such that three big hotels, Laguna
Hotel formerly Wadna Beach (located near one of the sand spits), Siva
Sunwing at the point of Cape Point and Tropical Garden Hotel at Atlantic
Road in Bakau have
since closed due to erosion. We cannot afford to sit on
our laurels any longer without addressing the problem which has been under
discussion since 1987 or even before. We hope that the Tourism Sector Study
under the direction of Bai Ousman Secka and Malick Jeng as Study co-
ordinator will do for the sector what the Coastal Protection Study is about
to do for the the Gambian coastline. As for Maina, 'daf la fuuhal' so it's
not worth the expenses. The man she loves is Pap. Thank you and keep up the
good work and please, don't forget my message to Bai Matarr.  I have more
time these days since I am on the unemployment line.  Sidi Sanneh