GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 13:33:04 -0400
Jassey-Conteh, I hope when all is said and done and people have voted and a
winner is announced on Friday, you will remember whose side you were on in
this pivotal fight between the forces of GOOD versus EVIL. I am NOT
surprised that you are at pains explaining your ridiculous stance to your
folks back home. You that used to jump up and down on G_L saying that Yaya
was the worst thing that has ever happened to our country is now saying that
you would rather abstain in this election than endorse Ousainou Darboe (who
is clearly the strongest Opposition candidate). If you had a vote you would
rather waste it than help Darboe defeat Yaya. You adamantly refused to
convince your folks to vote for Darboe simply because of some silly ideas
you put in your mind and refused to revisit them logically.

I am happy that NCP stalwarts on the ground are NOT just paying lip-service
to the notion that Yaya is the worst thing that has ever happened in the
country. Those stalwarts, like your folks, are going to vote for Darboe
because they know that Dibba does NOT stand a chance. You know you are LYING
when you bring tribalism into this or when you say that you are fighting for
PDOIS and NRP. Your fight is for Dibba to be the leader of a Coalition. When
you did NOT have your selfish wish, you decided to bolt. Your people are NOT
stupid. They see through you. We see through you.

People did NOT disregard your criticism of Yaya. No one can take that away
from you. What people can do though is point out how when the going got
tough, you lost it and started behaving irrationally. You want to punish
Ousainou Darboe and the Gambian people for the perceived sins of other
people. Even if Jawara was running against Yaya some of you should have
looked at the records of both leaders and realize that Yaya is indeed the
worst thing that has ever happened to the country. In other words, I do NOT
think, Conteh, you want to tell us that Jawara is worse than Yaya. Now, why
would you hold the Jawara record against Ousainou Darboe, who was fighting
for your own idol (Dibba) when the latter got into trouble with the Jawara
regime? Darboe went further than that and provided a plan that is going to
move our country FORWARD and NOT go back to yesteryears.

You have to ask yourself the question and face your despicable deeds. There
is no need burying your head in the clouds and concocting other reasons for
NOT siding with the GOOD forces. In this fight you CANNOT be a fence-sitter
(neutral as you claim by NOT endorsing anyone). Clearly you like Dibba. But
you are NOT as stupid as you pretend to be at times. You know it is a total
waste of time to ‘endorse’ Dibba. The man CANNOT win. You know who among the
Opposition is capable of winning. But you do NOT want to ‘endorse’ him
either because you are upset Dibba is NOT leading the Coalition. If you
abstain, Yaya loses NOTHING because you never supported him in the first
place. But need I tell you that the Opposition that you meant to vote for if
Dibba was the leader would lose? Let me further break it down for you. Let
us look at the extreme for a moment. If every potential Opposition member
was upset about one move the Alliance made and decided to abstain, while all
of Yaya’s supporters came out to vote, guess who will win?

I will NEVER accuse you after the fact for betraying the Opposition. I am
glad your folks did NOT listen to you and will vote for the Alliance. I will
also NOT allow you to delude yourself into thinking that you are siding with
the GOOD forces in this war between GOOD and EVIL. In this war NEUTRALITY
translates to EVIL.
KB