GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2001 11:30:43 -0400
Mr. Manneh, thanks once again for the clear rendition you gave of your
experience with the electoral process during the last elections. Your
insights are invaluable. As people like Bakary Kanteh have highlighted,
there are tremendous problems inherent in the transportation of ballots from
polling stations to counting centers. So, the Opposition must hand-combat
Gabriel Roberts to ensure that he does NOT assist Yaya in his dubious
enterprise to steal the elections. We MUST ask for counting on-the-spot.

Once the ballots are counted, your narration of the certification also shows
that there are loopholes that a dubious Gabriel Roberts in cahoots with Yaya
and his cronies can take advantage of in order to steal the elections. The
votes from Janjanbureh might have been announced just the way you sent them
to the PIEC. But how about the votes from areas in CRD where Gabriel Roberts
knew that some shenanigans already took place? Although you did NOT mention
it, I would have thought that Party representatives would be at the IEC HQ
as the faxes come in to ensure that the figures that were coming to the HQ
tallied with the figures their representatives at the counting centers were
giving them. If that is NOT the case, the Opposition MUST ensure that they
have representatives with Gabriel Roberts at the IEC HQ (and NOT State
House) as the faxes come in from the various counting centers. Before
Gabriel Roberts is allowed to announce bogus results, Opposition
representatives at the IEC HQ should liaise with their people in the
constituencies to ensure that the figures sent through fax were the same
ones the Returning Officers certified at the counting centers.

If the Opposition are present with Gabriel Roberts at the IEC HQ as the
faxes come in, then that also takes care of the problem we had in 1996 about
Gamtel routing faxes to State House. Under no circumstances should the
Opposition trust despicable vermin like Gabriel Roberts with the fate of the
Gambian people. We should be breathing on Roberts’ neck this time around
just like Yaya put a gun to the coward’s head in 1996. The Opposition should
ensure that the results Gabriel Roberts is going to announce reflect the
will of the Gambian people in every sense. First and foremost we MUST ensure
that the ballots are NOT transported from place to place as per Gabriel
Roberts and Yaya’s (UNILATERAL) decision. Secondly, Opposition
representatives have to be present at IEC HQ when the results come in from
the counting centers. Manneh, I thank you once again for your invaluable
contributions.

Yaya is finished. The hundreds of thousands of Gambians that were
disenfranchised in the last election of Decree 89 are now going to vote for
the Alliance in droves. People do NOT attend APRC rallies and the vermin
know that they lost the elections. Now their whole hopes are pinned on
Gabriel Roberts and intimidating the ordinary Gambians. As we speak/write,
Opposition stalwarts are being arrested willy-nilly. Their crime: they are
refusing to attend APRC rallies.
KB