GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 00:25:00 EDT
Your point that Yahya might use the odious specter of prosecuting these kids
as a ploy to grandstand has merit. It is the kind of evil he is made of.
However the primary purpose of the lawyers would be to establish the facts of
the massacre and that inherently entails initiating some relationship with
the students particularly those who were at forefront. That aspect of the
undertaking does not preclude using part of the contributions for the
bereaved families and the other very crucial assistance. Infact as of this
writing I have already received some contributions and God willing by the
weekend we would have been well underway in the collection. People have
called and sent emails. You underestimate this government's cruelty by
rightly insisting they alone be made to bear the indefinite jailing of school
kids. Once we have our team meticulously gather evidence, we would be in much
stronger position to help the bereaved families who would have legal standing
to seek redress at some place and time. Like you I am not looking for justice
in Yahya Jammeh's judiciary because it is worse than a kangaroo court.

Karamba