GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ebrima ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 06:14:20 PDT
Gambia-L:

The e-mail below, as usual, came from one of my sources in Banjul.

Ebrima Ceesay

Hello Ebrima,

The UDP has registered yet another successful rally at Box Bar yesterday in
which thousands attended. During the rally, Ousainou Darbo warned that if
the scheduled November Council elections were aborted, as all current
Government actions seem to indicate, then the Opposition will urge tax/rate
payers to withhold paying taxes and
rates to the municipalities.

They, the main opposition, have vowed to lead the revolt. The Constitutional
requirements of conducting the elections have been
ignored by the Jammeh regime for fear of being trounced at the polls.
The APRC Rally, held at Tobacco Road was, as usual, sparsely attended.
Ebrima, APRC is dead and they know it. Deferring the municipal elections,
yet again, will not only spell trouble, but will confirm what everybody
already knows: that the popularity of the Government has dissipated as
rapidly as the rapid fire of their AK47 on our children.

Eighteen months delay in holding these elections is more than the population
can stomach. Thanks and continue the good work. THIS GOVERNMENT WILL BE
PUSHED TO THE SEA. By the way, tell Essa Sey to shut up or else I'll expose
his (alleged) role in the two military Jeeps that were donated to the
Gambian Army, sometime ago, by the French Government. Or does he want me to
talk about the part he played in the BIVAC deal?

Thanks as ever!