GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebrima Ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 11:48:51 GMT
Gambia-L:

Since part 1 of my posting, following the Independent newspaper's unfair
attack on my very self and Cherno Baba Jallow, I have been overwhelmed with
messages (many in private) of support and encouragement. So to all those who
have spoken out for us, be it on the L or in private, I say a big thank you.

Well, since many of you have written to me in private and suggested that
there is no need for me to send part 2, because we have to move on with the
REAL struggle, I have decided to do a very short and a more general
commentary on the Press and its role.

So, Gambia-L readers, here is Part 2 of my posting as promised. But my
comments, I have to admit, are watered-down or diluted, after people I have
utmost respect for suggested (to me in private) that I should just leave it
at Part 1 and move on:

The age-old role of the Press (and of any other media service for that
matter) is essentially fourfold: to educate, to inform, to entertain, and to
persuade. However, I would add two more functions separately - that is to
investigate and to act as a watchdog - and say instead that the functions of
the Press are essentially six-fold. Not for nothing is the press known
universally as "The Fourth Estate". In fact, it is in its role as a social
watchdog that the press offers one of its most essential services to
society. It is the commentator of life as it unfolds, and the interpreter of
events.

It is, therefore, no understatement to stress that the role of those people
working for the Press is paramount: they are the first-line guardians of
these six functions; and in order to perform these functions as effectively
and as efficiently as possible so as to have the respect and trust of its
readers, the press must always make sure that the information it transmits
to its readers is accurate, fair, objective and balanced.

It is not an easy job, and at times it is definitely not a comfortable one.
But journalists have a duty and responsibility, in their role as social
watchdogs, to remain in the vanguard of truth, justice and freedom and to
report whatever is in the public interest regardless of the peril.
Journalists put themselves on the line in their role as monitors, warning
their readers or listeners of danger whether economic, political, business,
military or social.

It must be stressed that those in the media have a duty not only to inform
people of what is happening, but also expect to have their writing and
opinions called into question by their readers. The press/media must provide
a forum on which its readers/listeners can discuss issues that concern and
affect them (the public).

In a genuine democracy, freedom of expression, freedom of speech and the
rights of critical reply are sacrosanct. Therefore, newspaper editors must
expect their readers to take issue with them from time to time. Criticisms
coming from your readers - whether harsh or soft - are healthy because they
make those in the Press do their job next time better.

A press, which is tolerant and open to critical views from its readers, is
essential in any real democracy. It offers empowerment to the ordinary "man
or woman in the street" to make a point, or to challenge a view. The right
of reply of citizens is a treasure beyond price.

Although journalists may find it uncomfortable to be criticised, or brought
up on a point, or challenged for accuracy, the fundamental right of their
audience to do these things cannot be brought into question. Journalists
should work in good faith to give honest and balanced reportage and good
all-round news coverage. And, in their editorials, Journalists are free to
express an opinion, which has its roots in fact, but they must also expect
to receive feedback on their work; and this may be critical or approving in
nature.

Editorials are the vehicles through which editors may encapsulate a point of
view, or make rounded comments on particular issues. The people who
undertake to write editorials assume a huge responsibility: they need to
offer opinion that is substantive in nature. However, at the end of the day,
the readership has the right to agree or to disagree with the writer's
standpoint and the press has feedback mechanisms in place in the form of its
letter pages.

I chose to disagree with what the Independent editorial writer of 12-13th
July wrote: I exercised my rights as a reader to disagree, and I put
together a comprehensive piece, which itemised my points of disagreement. It
was sad therefore to receive such a highly critical response from the
Independent team on July 17th for utilising my rights of reply, and my
freedom to express my own opinions.

When the Daily Observer lost much of its independence following its sale in
1999, we all lamented this: we were deeply suspicious of the intentions of
the new owner and editorial team, and we questioned how far the government
was intervening in its reportage and comment. The forming of The Independent
Newspaper by Brothers Baba Galleh Jallow and Alhaji Yorro Jallow was greeted
by most concerned citizens with relief: we were optimistic that a truly
independent voice had returned to The Gambia which would report the truth
with impartiality, accuracy and dedication.

Until now, the Independent Team overall have not let its readership down: we
have admired its stance against the excesses of the Jammeh regime, and the
dogged way in which the staff have tried to give voice to the feelings and
opinions of ordinary, concerned Gambians.

Now we are perplexed, because the editorial of 12th July was anything like
"independent" in nature: it smacked of government "interference" or of
sycophancy by the writers. It omitted much of the truth, and skewed other
parts of it. We wonder why the editorial team felt the need to publish the
editorial: what were its motives and what did it hope to gain? Is there
something we do not know? We really cannot believe that the team were truly
celebrating six years of Yahya Jammeh's ineptitude.

Yes, for an independent press to exist in a tyranny is difficult:  the
pressures are enormous and the personal costs are high. But it is vital that
journalists do their sacred duty with vigour, honesty, determination,
forthrightness, and dedication; they should never allow themselves to be
muzzled by anyone. They have to keep the moral high ground in their
reportage, and be ready to defend the truth at all costs. It is important
that the press and its journalists realise that if they try to protect their
own skins and allow their country to slide into despotism, greed, injustice,
corruption and chaos, then they themselves will also be victims.

My concerns as a reader of the Independent are now profound in the wake of
this last lambasting editorial: I had hoped that my opinions, particularly
given my background in the journalistic arts, would be received with respect
if not with agreement. I now call upon all concerned Gambians to write to
the Independent to express their anxieties and to remind the Independent
writers and editors of their responsibilities to their readership and to the
best interests of their country.

Let our watchwords be impartiality, discretion and honesty. Let our dream be
of a free, fair and democratic Gambia, served by a media of the very highest
quality.

Ebrima Ceesay,
Birmingham, UK.

PS: For those of you who asked me in private, well, be told that the
well-respected Gambian Journalist, D.A Jawo, IS NOT a member of the
editorial of the Independent Newspaper. He writes for them but on a
freelance basis as far as I know.