GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Alpha Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 22:09:20 +0200
Gambia-L,

To start with, we would like to urge all on the list from Germany to take time to attend the fund raising activity in Frankfurt and to kindly spread the word to people you know in Germany.

As every country has its own reality, we will use this opportunity to further the course of justice. The occasion will therefore be used to provide information about what happened on the 10th and 11th of April, what is happening now and the initiatives in The Gambia and in particular from Gambia L.

Representatives from various institutions like Amnesty International-Germany, political parties and Africans from other countries have also been invited to attend. This will provide us with the opportunity to address our concerns and present letters to them.

Since many people here are not aware of the world wide struggle which resulted from the April massacre, we thought it useful to provide as much information as possible about what took place in different countries. We would therefore kindly request from people who have kept copies of letters used, flyers, responses from Governments and institutions etc., especially those which have not been posted to the L, to send copies to: [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]

The petition letter which was written here will be passed around for people to append their signatures to it. We are aware that the demands made in it are partly obsolete, but we still see some sense in using it. First, some of the demands are still valid and secondly we would like to honour its collective spirit. A covering letter will then be attached to it explaining the present situation and stating our readiness to meet with the responsible authorities to discuss with them how
they can be of assistance to us at this moment.

In other to amplify the truly collective character of the petition, we herewith request from all List members who intended to sign this petition to please send an e-mail to: [log in to unmask] As some may recall, the collection of signatures for the petition somehow did not come to a conclusion in the heat of the actions just after the massacre. This will therefore be an opportunity to close this chapter. A documentation of all the actions which took place needs to
be done! After receiving some materials from Kabir in Norway, I realised how much we are missing by not documenting things as they happened and continue to happen in different countries. The “Free Gambia Web site” idea should be called to life and used for this purpose among others.

Meanwhile, do not hesitate to send us ideas and suggestions, even if you are not living in Germany.
We look forward to a successful event.

Alpha Robinson
(on bahalf of the organising committee)