GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Touray, Maila" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 01:52:30 -0400
As a soccer referee in the state of Rhode Island, I was recruited to
officiate in the 2001 World Scholar-Athlete Games. During my discussion with
the recruiters, I came to find out that Gambia is not invited, nor
represented. After further discussions, and request to have my country's
participation, we were extended an invitation. Not only is Gambia invited,
but any one of the countries indicated below can actually participate -
please see list.
We can participate in two ways:
1)      an existing team of Gambian scholars within the US can represent US
in all sporting - Olympic like -  disciplines including soccer, basketball,
etc. (except swimming, which now has a waiting list).
2)      A team from home can still register, and make the Games in July.

The agency also have has the mandate to offer scholarships. Hence, during my
negotiations, I requested for us [Gambia] to be considered in the
scholarship program. We now have a shot at two scholarships - one going to a
male and another for a female scholar.

Here is where I need help; What is the best way to go about making this as
fair as possible, yet getting a good representation? How do we make sure
that these two scholarships reach the neediest, qualified scholars?

I have also request a letter be written, inviting Gambia to these games -
following protocol. This letter will be sent to the ministry of sport, and
ministry of education respectively, hopefully they can make things happen
from there. If HOME, responds positively and can send a delegation, we need
not worry about a US team. I am just worried about the logistics.

There is in excess of 50 countries already taking part, so it is big, and I
see no reason why Gambia cannot be here.
Your support is needed.

Sincerely,
Maila Touray