GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 23:19:41 +0000
Culled from AllAfrica.  Yahya cannot continue to lie about the state of the
nation.  Any fair minded Gambian know that the moron failed Gambians and
cannot come to the people with his big belly in the midst of their
starvation.  What has he promised that he has delivered?  Even the
sycophants are tired from hunger, thus, you do not see them running around
to spread propaganda and lies.  Please read on.

No Meet the People's Tour Yet

The Independent (Banjul)

EDITORIAL
November 29, 2002
Posted to the web November 30, 2002

Banjul

The year is winding up and yet, nothing is being heard of the traditional
'Meet The People' tour.

Every year, in September or October, the president tours the provinces to
entertain the peoples' complaints about problems affecting them.

Farmers particularly have looked forward to this visit by the president who
use such tours year in year out, to make problem-solving pledges.

However, this year, no sign of such a tour has been made yet this year, a
crucial time of our national crisis when people need his attention and
intervention to address the anomalies that has gripped us all.

We join the rest of the Gambian nation in wondering why, especially, at this
worst period of our hardship is President Jammeh not taking the trip to meet
the poor people who need to be told what is going wrong and why. We want to
understand that such are not a matter o convenience for any Gambian leader
once they decide to embark on them in the spirit of sharing the troubles of
the poor farmers. Unless of course, we are made to believe that it is one of
his trademark populism, this year's tour could have been the best time for
Jammeh to go and explain to the people the reasons for our ailing economy,
which has gravely affected a host of other areas.

But it is hard to imagine how Yahya Jammeh's government will attempt to
explain the problems we are currently facing without owning up to the fact
that it was all as a result of mal-administration and having a Cabinet with
a one man show. It is difficult to fathom how Jammeh will address farmers
without, looking in hindsight and pointing out what was not done that should
have been done, what was not addressed that should have been addressed and
what was not consolidated that should have been consolidated. On the whole,
in view of the prevailing situation, we at The Independent believe that it
is a time to own up to mistakes and not to look for scapegoats on whom to
brand some blame. As we always say the blame is at the feet of the APRC
government, which has misled people into believing that all is well when
there is really no need to look hard for any evidence because they are as
glaring as the morning sun.

The farmers need answers, practical ones at that.

Among the many pledges made by the president is the rural electrification
project although very few towns in the provinces could claim to have
benefited from it. As for the Greater Banjul Area, where consumers pay more
for darkness than for light, the problem is still acute. A growing number of
Gambians in the urban and rural areas cannot afford three meals making
complete nonsense Jammeh's promises by now the turn of the last century
sufficiency in food would have been ensured.

Two years into the new millennium we are growing poorer by the day, with
agriculture our mainstay in complete disarray.

So it is not difficult to realise what Jammeh would be going to in the
provinces and perhaps explains why there is no 'Meet the Peoples' tour.

Given the desperateness of the people in their quest for survival,
politically motivated rallies in the name of a 'Meet the People' tour where
empty promises are made are not desirable.

But at the end of the day it was the confidence of the Gambian people that
was reposed on Yahya Jammeh and therefore he has a moral obligation to meet
them and explain to them why he is failing. He should not betray such
confidence by abdicating his responsibility. Whether he owns up to his
failures or pins the blame elsewhere, the fact remains that Gambians need
explanation.

People are already asking why they have not welcome their president this
year, but instead hear of his sacking spree, involving some ministers,
permanent secretaries and other public officers. But is that the real
solution to our problem. If that should be the case, then Jammeh should have
sacked himself a long time ago. No doubt about that.